[tor-project] Community team April update

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Wed May 9 18:09:05 UTC 2018

April 2018 Community Team highlights

Meeting notes
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Tor Meeting
We began planning the Mexico City meeting with a new group,
meeting-planners at lists.tpo. Join us and help make the meeting awesome!

Volunteer recognition
Kat and Jon sent their first swag bundle to a noteworthy volunteer! But
they need more teams to nominate volunteers for this program, so please
make sure you're nominating excellent volunteers for swag and glory!

Outreachy and Summer of Privacy
We've accepted two new interns, one from Outreachy and one from Summer
of Privacy. Jaruga will be working on updating and maintaining
documentation, and Cy will be taking over Pari's work as user advocate.
Welcome Jaruga and Cy!

Localization
Colin has reached out to a bunch of translators to try to get them more
swag and recognition.

community.torproject.org
We made a lot of progress on training modules for community.tpo. We'll
test them out with real users at the end of May.

Library Freedom Institute
LFI curriculum development continues apace. Our first cohort starts the
first week of June.

Community governance
tor-internal@ voted affirmatively for the code of conduct [1] and
statement of values [2]!

[1]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/code_of_conduct.txt
[2]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/statement_of_values.txt

Tor talks and outreach
Cryptorave got fully funded in April. At least ten Tor talks planned!!!!
Including Isabela keynoting.

Toronto Public Library approved their Tor pilot project.

We finalized plans for Tor people to go to RightsCon.

We heard back from HOPE that one of our talks got accepted.

We're visiting community members in Uganda in May to do
community-building and usability work.

NYC Tor meetups have been going really well and happening regularly. The
plan for the summer is just to do a social event to keep things easy,
and focus most of our attention on HOPE.

Ann Arbor Cryptoparty is having an event in June at their local library:
https://aadl.org/node/372209. They're also starting to plan an event in
November around Aaron Swartz Day.

Another privacy meetup happened in Pune, India with more in-depth
discussions about using Tor. kushal was planning a blog post as a follow
up to that meeting.

Jobs on the community team
We conducted interviews for the community liaison position.

Mozilla began accepting applications for our Open Web fellow.

Colin will be transitioning into the relay advocate role over the next
few months!

Other stuff