[tor-project] Tor Browser team meeting notes, 5 Mar 2018

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Mar 5 19:53:00 UTC 2018


Here are the meeting notes from our first meeting in March 2018. The
chat log is on


and the items from the pad are:

Monday, March 5, 2018

    - next meeting (GeKo: the plan is to have the next one on Monday
March 26, 1800 UTC taking summer time into account)
    - isa's meeting pad:

mcs and brade:
  Last week:
    - For #23136 (Moat integration):
      - Fixed #25389 (backport Subprocess.jsm runaway CPU fix (Mozilla
      - Responded to code review feedback and delivered an updated patch.
      - Filed some follow up tickets:
         - #25360 (Moat UI is hidden if there are no default bridges)
         - #25405 (cannot use Moat if a meek bridge is configured)
    - Found and filed #25362 (setup dialog opens after tor restart when
    - Did some preparation for the Rome meeting.
  Planned for this week:
    - Work with Arthur to find the root cause for #25331 (Test from
#18912 failing).
    - Help with code reviews.
    - Work on #25405 (cannot use Moat if a meek bridge is configured).
    - More preparation for the Rome meeting.
    - Mark travels to Rome, arriving Saturday.


    Last week:

    - #22794 uplift to firefox (tracked in bugzilla
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1441327 )

    - #25147 backport of fix to (
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1432966 )

    This Week

    - fix #1441327 ff patch based on their CR feedback, backport said
fixes back down to tor-browser

    - sync with Pari issues spreadsheet

    - more uplifts


    Last Week:
        - Work on #21777 (I basically get mozilla-central cross-compiled
now with the clang/minw-w64 toolchain and the result is running \o/; now
we need to fix the breakage caused by enabling Stylo)
        - Code review for moat (#23136), the new HTTPS-E build system
(#25339) and partly for merging the Orfox patches (#19675)
        - I got my patches for #23439 and #21321 uplifted (no mixed
content blocking for .onion domains)
        - I am nearly done with writing an updated draft for the
security control redesign proposal
    This week:
        - Begin-of-the-month team admin work
        - Sending the security control redesign proposal to tbb-dev
        - release preparations
        - meeting planning
        - #21777
        - reviews, reviews, reviews
        - Meeting in Rome

    Last Week:
        - Fixed #25339: Install python 3.6 for building HTTPS-Everywhere
        - Worked on toolchain updates (#16472, #25420, #25304)
        - Made patch for #25422 (rbm: Give more details in "Cannot
checkout" errors)
    This week:
        - Continue to work on toolchain updates
        - Fix #25318 (Add Tor Browser nightly builds email notification)
        - reviews some tickets if needed
        - help with building the new releases
        - will spend some time at IFF, before traveling to Rome


    Landed time jittering in Nightly. Dealing with fallout.

    Worked on why MinGW won't run. Thought I had reproduced it not
running, then it ran!

    Seems related to graphics (Still)

    I'm going to try to flip off the 2 graphics prefs, and run the tests
in TC, and see if I can get consistency.

    I need to write up a wiki page about what (exactly) we block with
fingerprinting protection.

    x64 build in TaskCluster - GeKo, based on your latest work: go for
it, or hold off? [GeKo: Go for it. I think the clang thing is cool but
there is so much to do that is left that I see it as a plan for the next
esr or when we switch to the regular release cycle or maybe for Tor
Browser 8.5]

    Something to think about: Which is more valuable to do first: a
proxy bypass test harness for mobile or for desktop? [GeKo: If it's a
"we'll work on that in Q3 2018"-thing then I think mobile would be good
as we should have our alpha out by then and could use this test harness
for ensuring there are no serious things like proxy bypasses on mobile,
which is the platform I suspect will have more of those issues than
desktop right now.]

    The light at the end of the Timer Fuzzing tunnel is starting to
appear, so I want to start thinking about the 'next big thing'

    Last week:
        - #25126, update the code to use torbutton git repo and to work
on Firefox m-c.
        - #25013, make it work as a feature extension and update the
code to work on m-c
    This week:
        - Since we are following the feature extension approach I need
to update the tor button proposal.
        - preparation for the Rome meeting.
        - Try out tor button in the firefox mobile

    Last week:
        - Sick with the flu, lost a lot of time
        - Nearly landed 1440789 (should land this week)
        - Attended (the end) of the Localization Summit at IFF

            - Arthur, I hear there will  be a discussion about langpacks
in Rome, I'm interested in that conversation

    This week

        - At IFF, talking with users, trainers, and translators

        - Landing 1440789

        - New branch for Orfox patches merge (#19675)

        - Finish mobile roadmap and send email

    Last week:
        Worked on uplift:


    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1434772 (landed)

    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1441449 (revising)

    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1330467 (getting close)

    Worked on revising https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22343

    This week

    More uplift: https://torpat.ch/short


    Flying to Rome, arriving on Saturday


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20180305/122e90f1/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list