[tor-project] Monthly spreadsheet - User queries, issues, demands...

cy63113 cy63113 at riseup.net
Tue Jun 12 01:33:48 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I am the new user advocate intern (and I'm loving it!), I'm working
gathering users queries, issues, demands... in many Tor channels. This
is the first time sending this spreadsheet out, so if there are any
suggestions to improve it, please let me know!  You can reach me by
email or IRC: cy63113

I'm basing on the methodology of the former intern and using the
identification of "Power users" and "Regular users"
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/UserIssuesResearch). This
is the overall description of the channels:

- *f**rontdesk@*: most of the issues and queries are from beginner users
(“regular users”), about installation and connection problems, these
problems are usually solved by uninstalling and reinstalling, correcting
the system clock, and disabling the antivirus/ firewall.

In this channel I *suggest*, if feasible, in Tor contact page - email,
make it clear that when writing an email, the subject must be objective,
e.g. "Connection failure", "I need a bridge", etc., because there are
several emails without subject and many that look like and are marked as
spam. And in addition something like " In order to get a faster
response, if possible, please write in English, Spanish, and/or
Portuguese” - or any language you are comfortable to answer.  This would
facilitate for those who respond and therefore, the response would be
faster.

- *IRC:*
#tor: some interactions, mostly of “heavy users”, some nonsense,
grievances and hate speech
#tor-offtopic: very few interactions, some nonsense, grievances and hate
speech
#tor-project: interactions of more experienced users

- *Tor blog*: there are more comments than issues, queries and grievances

- *Twitter*: there are lots of comments, very few issues and queries

- *Facebook*: very few comments, some reactions and shares, and so far,
1 query (Can’t install in Win 10)

- *StockExchange and Tor subreddit*:a mix of tech-savvy and beginner
users. Mostly are general questions that need more instructions,
frequently because they don't read Tor’s documentation (too extensive).
Here you can constantly notice the use of Tor and deep / dark web as
synonyms.

You can check the May spreadsheet here: *https://ethercalc.org/may_2018**
*
Cheers,