[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 30 July 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jul 30 21:29:03 UTC 2018

Hi!  We had a short meeting today.  You can see the logs at


and the notes below:

= Network team meeting pad! =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html
25 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001863.html
2 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001866.html
9 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001884.html
16 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001888.html
23 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001926.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion]

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

---- 30 July 2018

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

== Updates ==

 [Will be commuting during meeting time. Might be online depending on
net connectivity.]
 Last week:
 - Was at PETS. Gave a rump session talk about the latest blog posts.
 - Talked with a few people about WTF-PAD and started a thread about the info I
   gathered: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-July/013360.html
 - Opened a few HSv3 tickets from stuff found during HOPE: #26980, #26931
   We really need to find some quiet time to work through all these tickets.
 - Had someone point me to the "httpsproxy" PT and wondered why Tor is
not providing any feedback:
   I'm not entirely sure what it does, but dcf seems to think it's a good idea.
 - Found a bug with vanguards + v3 and wrote a patch:
 - Talked with Aaron about their upcoming paper on statistics of the Tor
   network.  Lots of wacky stats in there, we should find time to investigate
   to improve network health.
 - Collected feedback from various HOPE/PETS people about security concerns
   people have with onion services. Discussed with Mike the potential of doing
   a "still open issues with onion services" blog post.
 - Helped with onion service proposal.
 This week:
 - Send the latest revision of client auth spec to tor-dev. Haxxpop is there
   anything else you feel is missing?
 - Try to find time to debug #26980 (#25552 bug).
 - Perhaps look a bit more on WTF-PAD and histograms.
 - Will be mostly offline from Wednesday to the end of the week.

    Last week:
        - At PETS. Livetweeted the talks, evangelized Tor stuff, tried
not to get too far behind.
    This week:
        - Catching up on backlog from PETS.
        - Trying to get RSA+NSS to work (#26818)
        - Working on issues under #25510 (mobile API)
        - Community rotation
        - Prepare re-triage for September milestone
        - As needed, help with proposals due on July 31.
        - Help with coverity, which is about to react to our changing
its definition of our BUG macro. This will likely cause a bunch of
warnings to fix themselves, but might cause a bunch more to show up.
        - Finalize PETS meta-reviews
        - Make a list of PETS talks and presentations that we should
take more action on.
        - Confer with Teor about what I should do with privcount stuff next
        - AFK ON THURSDAY.
        - AFK next week on Thursday & Friday.

    last week:
        - On vacation some of the time
        - Read email / IRC backlog from vacation and HOPE period.
        Sponsor 8:
        - Looked into the state of where we are with building Tor as a
shared library together with Arturu.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Look into Nick's NSS work.
            - Work on changing PT code to handle protocol messages via
the event loop.
            - Disable our stats collection service since we decided
not to use it anymore.
            - Look at Tor related PETS stuff.
            - Finish review backlog.
            - End of month tasks.

    last week (2018-W30):
        - made some progress on review of NSS tickets
        - patch for #26785 (conditionally disable an unrecognized gcc warning)
        - talked about some torspec stuff with teor
        - followed up some more about prop#295 (cell crypto) on email thread
    this week (2018-W31):
        - ticket review
        - maybe more talk about prop#295
        - benefits bureaucracy

    last week:
        - Review asn's client auth torspec branch. I think everything
is good now. We can merge it if everyone already agreed.
    this week:
        - I will revise my client auth code to meet the new torspec
(if the asn's torspec branch is already merged)

More information about the tor-project mailing list