[tor-project] Notes from July 26 2018 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Jul 27 11:42:30 UTC 2018

Notes for July 26 2018 meeting:

Georg:
1) Shari: Gentle ping for the bug bounty contract expiration date :)
[Sorry for the delay! August 31, 2018 is the expiration
date.-Shari][GeKo: Thanks!]
2) Do we have a vacation calendar somewhere, at least for vegas-team
folks? Should we? (It would be useful for me at least :) ) AM: +1 on
usefulness; [we don't have one yet as far as I know-Shari]
3) Tor Browser alpha preparations (both desktop and mobile)

Alison:
1) HOPE happened and it was a great success! Lots of people stopped by
our table, the talk went really well, we got great questions and no
trolling, and we demonstrated great community engagement by joining with
other orgs and individuals to stand up to the trolls. :) Lots of great
ideas for future conferences. The panel discussion model seems to work
really well, especially if we have multiple teams/projects represented.
Honestly we could have made it into just an AMA, kinda how EFF does. [I
think having the quick presentation was helpful so everyone was on the
same page. a couple ppl even used the word "onionize" in their questions
after hearing it. maybe it is also why the questions were so good,
direct. -Steph]
2) Colin reports that the PETS relay operator meetup went really well!
More than 50 people attended and then lots of them hung out after. He's
already gotten a lot of folks telling him they want to run new relays,
plus there are more people getting in touch about that after HOPE.
Community engagement really works, yay. [This is amazing news!-Shari]
3) Very busy with Library Freedom Institute this week and next as we
prepare for our in-person meetup on August 3-5.
4) Gus and I are working on documentation for Tor Browser 8.0 (support
portal articles and TB Manual updates to start, then training slides).
After we finish this we'll work on TB Android docs.
5) We have another Mexico City planners meeting on Monday. I will send
out the agenda solicitation email after that. I also hope that we can
get the open days blog post out sometime very soon. We're also
connecting with community members in Mexico City.

Mike:
1) Following up on blog posts, doing vanguards improvements based on
feedback.

Steph:
1) HOPE (presentation and booth) went well, and it was inspiring to see
the community rally together. We got $1900 in donations and over 100
newsletter signups. Tommy got them into civi, and Sarah and I got a
thank you note out to all who signed up. We are talking more about how
to maximize our booth presence in the future.
2) Doing TBA copy
3) Leading a media training workshop for LFI next weekend
4) Still to do: blog catchup, TPO copy

Sarah:
1) Working with Jon and Tommy to understand and optimize procedures
around gift entry, acknowledgment, monthly giving follow-up
2) Putting together revisions for the Donate pages on the website for
Giant Rabbit
3) beginning to network to fill the open Grant Writer position
4) Starting to plan for a monthly giving solicitation campaign
5) Reviewing current major donors and starting to build a strategy to
reach out and build relationships

Karsten:
1) Published a new Reproducible Metrics page (
https://metrics.torproject.org/reproducible-metrics.html ) which is
still a work in progress, but which is a big step towards completing our
Sponsor 13 deliverable 2. Remaining steps are to get it reviewed some
more and then link it from all over Tor Metrics.
2) Made progress with adding our first graph based on OONI data. Coming
soon.
3) Started making some improvements to the Onionoo API to allow more
powerful queries.
4) Removed one of the remaining road blocks preventing us from
integrating ExoneraTor more smoothly into Tor Metrics.

Shari:
1) Working on funding proposal to OSC, new group which seems to get its
funding from USAID, SIDA, and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
2) Selected recipients of next Shuttleworth Fellowships. Fun to be part
of that process!
3) Spoke with staffer for US Select Committee on Intelligence about our
funding.
4) Finished up job description for new sysadmin position and pushed to
get it posted.
5) Handled/handling a few personnel things.

Arturo:
1) We kicked off our UX research for the new OONI Probe mobile apps. We
created a survey which we circulated on social media, mailing lists, and
via push notifications. See:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooniprobe-ux-survey-and-interviews/. We
have also started interviewing community members, and conducted 4
interviews this week.
2) Progress on OONI Probe desktop apps
3) Made some progress on reviewing tor_api.h. See:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25510#comment:7 &
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26948 &
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26947 &
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23846.
4) Briar's Torsten mapped the blocking of Tor worldwide based on OONI
data: https://grobox.de/tor
5) Maria presented OONI in Kiev and facilitated a UX workshop (2
weekends ago)
6) The OONI team be taking the second of the two tor meeting open days
off, to recuperate before our internal meeting happening the days after.
If there are open day things we should be part of, let's be sure to put
them on the first of the two days.