[tor-project] Use of "tor" as part of the name for sbws Debian package

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 03:17:43 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 07:55:29PM -0700, Dave Rolek wrote:
> On 2018-07-24 18:22, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> > It seems this is coming, at least in part, from this comment:
> >
> >   > Well, tor-* was a proposal to disambiguate a short name. I don't
> >   > particularly care what the prefix would be.
> >
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=903977#32
> >
> > So, no, not all packages need the tor- prefix, but because "sbws" is a
> > simple, short name they're future-proofing against a collision.
>
> It looks like the "tor-" convention already exists in Debian, so I'd be
> in favor of following it.

Unfortunately, I don't think sbws is actually similar. Maybe using
"tor-arm" instead of "arm" was an example/precedent, but I don't know
the history there.

> For instance, these came up from `apt list` in Debian stretch:
> tor

No explanation needed

> tor-arm

Now renamed Nyx

> tor-dbg

The debug symbols for tor package

> tor-dbgsym

I'm not sure what this is. It looks like this is in Sid and
experimental, and possibly a rename of tor-dbg.

> tor-geoipdb

This may be the only actual example, but it is still specifically the
Geo-IP database used by the "tor" process

> torchat

Trademark infringement (and not developed/maintained anymore)

> torsocks

This is the name of the program