[tor-project] Notes from network team meeting, 29 Jan 2018

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Tue Jan 30 23:15:57 UTC 2018

Hello!

Our meeting IRC logs can be found at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-01-29-18.00.html

Pad copied below
----------------

Network team meeting pad, 29 January 2018

             La lettre N formait sans doute l'initiale du nom de
             l'énigmatique personnage qui commandait au fond des mers !

                  --- Jules Verne, _VINGT MILLE LIEUES SOUS LES MERS_

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.
(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Meeting notes from previous weeks:
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/001639.html
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/001644.html

Old Announcements:
    - Let's have some proposal discussions. Isis kicked off the process here:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-December/012666.html
    - We are planning a single-day pre-planned highly-focused hackfest before the Rome Tor meeting
        - teor: pre-Rome hackfest venue is confirmed
        - komlo: Should there be a Rust update/planning session?  What should we prepare/do beforehand to help this be planned/highly-focused?
    - On the roadmap spreadsheet: Please take February tasks.  (If somebody else has already taken something you want, please talk to them and/or add yourself too.) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit?usp=sharing

Announcements:
    * 0.3.3.x is in feature-freeze.  No new features (except for #24902, which has permission.).
    * No 0.3.4.x patches will be merged till the window opens on Feb 15.
    * Please, work on bugfixes!  It would be great to have this release release on time. (Planned date is 15 April)
    * Support for 0.3.0.x will end on 1 Feb.
    * There are tons of tiny 0.3.3.x tickets.  Maybe if you can do one of them in <X minutes for some small X, you should just do it?
    * Review group 31 is open!  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~review-group-31&group=status&col=id&col=summary&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=component&col=version&order=priority  -- please help all your colleagues' tickets get reviewed.

    * There are over 200 open tickets in 0.3.3.x.  Some are bugs we should fix.  Some we should defer to 0.3.4.x. Some should get tossed into the aether. Suggested process?
    * We have way too many open tickets left in 0.3.3.x, including ones that are assigned to people.  Is this how it should be?  Where, if anywhere did we go wrong?  How to do better in 0.3.4.x?
    * There are still tickets left in 0.3.2.x. What shall we do with them? Let's get them done soon.
    * Looks like 28 May - 1 June 2018 and 4 June - 8 June 2018 are good dates for a hackfest.
      Which week do we want to do a hackfest?
      (4 - 8 June is just before Mozilla All-Hands)
      Which city/country?
      Does anyone want to help organise it? [teor can do some of the organising] [dgoulet: Replied offering my help][isa can help too]

Nick:
    * Last week:
        - Released 0.3.3.1-alpha, including review and merge of lots of last-minute patches.
        - Reviewed #24902 a bunch.
        - Began big triage on remaining 0.3.3.x tickets.
        - Grabbed many small 0.3.3.x tickets and did them.
        - Talked w isis et al about TLS1.3.
        - Tried OpenSSL 1.1.1's git master branch (openssl is not yet released).  Found various bugs. Navigated openssl's contributor license agreement and code review bureaucracy
    * This week:
        - Missing Monday and Tuesday: in a meeting with mozilla folks in Boston, brain-dumping all the Tor internals.
        - More triage on 0.3.3.x and 0.3.4.x.
        - More bugfixes, review, merging.

teor:
    * Last week:
        - (experimental) PrivCount bug fixes and client descriptor fetch stubs
        - Still keeping my relays operating and supporting relay operators
        - Did not get time to review or revise much Tor code
        - The test network started running new IPv6 consensus methods 27 & 28
          (The microdescs and microdesc consensus changed, nothing crashed)
        - Read up on general floating point issues, and read Rust's Rand f64 impl
        - It was a short week for me due to a local public holiday
    * This week:
        - Fix some more experimental PrivCount bugs
        - Implement and test experimental PrivCount onion service stats
        - Make a trac user page that lists the tickets I'm working on in priority order
        - Maybe I will get time to review or revise tickets this week

asn:
  [Not sure if I will be present in meeting tonight. Woke up pretty early.]
  Last week:
  - More review on #24902. Found some bugs and wrote another unittest for it.
  - Coded #24896 and it's now on needs_review. Works fine on my HSes.
  - Did some research stuff. Met with a researcher who is interested in
    integrating PIR with HSDirs. Helped them out with chutney and gave them a
    few pointers on the tor codebase.
  - Opened a few prop224 tickets of bugs I encountered: #24972, #24976, #24977
    Also reviewed's nick's patch for #24972.
  - Opened #24973 which might be yet another way that clients overwhelm the network.
  This week:
  - Bug triage and coverity duties.
  - Work on prop279 (name system proposal).
  - More prop247 or whatever else needs work/reviewing.

dgoulet:
  * Last week:
    - Finalized code for #24902. An v4 branch now exists. Been running for at
      least 5 days now so I think it is getting more and more in a state to be
      merged upstream.
    - Small review on #24914
    - Opened #24962, a parent ticket for most of our Tor2web DoS issues. And
      also two child tickets.
    - Bug found by arma while reviewing #24902, I opened #24975 for it.
  * This week:
    - Address reviews on #24902. I expect this to be much less work than last
      week thus allowing me to put time in other things.
    - 0.3.3.x bug triage.
    - Ticket work for which I really need to have them in a better state:
      #22781, #24554 and #24975.

isabela:
    - got extension from sponsor4 - working on email/agreement to isis, suggested by nick.
    - sponsor8 Q4 report
    - reading pwr research on .onion / also planning on digesting our user testing results (probably on thursday/frida) and starting to put together a write up of it
    - team meeting on March 11 **different from team hackfest on the 10th** - this should be for retrospective, roadmapping etc. [sent email about it]

catalyst:
    Last week (2018-W04):
        * reviewed #24484
        * worked on making us have a better-functioning github repo
        * our "official" github repo is building on Travis CI now!
        * CoC review
        * sick day spent in Urgent Care again (very persistent respiratory infection)
    This week (2018-W05):
        * review tickets
        * CoC and Statement of Values feedback
        * more github adjustments as needed
        * draft some text about how people should interact with our github repo
        * try to get enough uninterrupted time to focus on #24661

Mike:
    Last week:
        - Fixed a couple purposed-related warn bugs from the vanguard prototype
        - Began brainstorming things the controller could do
    This week:
        - Write a README for the vanguard controller; make it more usable for 0.3.3 alpha users
        - Maybe start cleaning up prop247?

ahf
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Convert DTrace programs to SystemTap to allow more people to use it.
            - Spend some time getting SystemTap to work on my laptop in Qubes VM's.
            - Looked into some old discussions from the WebKit community on memory profiling.
        Misc:
            - Found and fixed #25026.
            - Got approval for Rome traveling, aiming for arriving the 7th and leaving the 16th.
            - Some Torsocks compatibility issue on some Linux'es. Hello71
              submitted a patch that includes a fix for this in #24967 (+ some macos issues).
            - Read up on the prop#279 (naming layer) and especially around using it with catch-all TLD's.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Begin initial memory optimization work on smartlist_t usage.
            - After Tim's suggestion: look into struct padding size.
            - Collect some baseline information for event loop usage.
        Misc:
            - Going to FOSDEM on Friday. Wont be online after 12 UTC until the
              evening. Limited communications over the weekend.
            - End of the month reporting.

isis
    last week:
        - last few bugs in moat #24432
        - google shut down access to my appengine account for the moat reflector
        - implementing prop#249 (#24986)
        - worked on the TLS 1.3 proposal
        - organised the steps to getting to a post-quantum secure circuit-layer handshake and made tickets for each #24985
    this week:
        - schedule proposal meetings
        - more prop#249 work
        - get moat accounts shifted over to TPO ownership

--
Alexander Færøy