[tor-project] Weekly network team notes, 16 Jan 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Jan 16 18:52:54 UTC 2018

We're halfway through the month. Here's our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-01-16-18.00.html

The notes from our pad are below:
=========================
Network team meeting pad, 16 January 2018

"I didn't get where I am by having reasonable goals"

― Ann Leckie, "Ancillary Justice"

Welcome to our meeting! This Tuesday (usually Mondays) at 1800 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.
(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Meeting notes from last week:
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/001622.html

Old Announcements:
    - On the roadmap spreadsheet: Please take january tasks.  (If
somebody else has already taken something you want, please talk to
them and/or add yourself too.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit?usp=sharing
    - Soon it will be It is now time to triage 0.3.3.x tickets.
Please make yourself the owner of tickets in that milestone that you
will do.
    - The meeting time is now 1800 UTC.
    - Let's have some proposal discussions. Isis kicked off the process here:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-December/012666.html
    - We are planning a single-day pre-planned highly-focused hackfest
before the Rome Tor meeting
        - teor: Jon says we will have a venue for the pre-Rome hackfest
        - komlo: Should there be a Rust update/planning session?  What
should we prepare/do beforehand to help this be
planned/highly-focused?

Announcements:
    - Tor 0.3.2.9 came out last week
    - review-group-29 is open, there are 3 tickets left in needs_review:

      https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&keywords=~review-group-28&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=reviewer&order=priority

    - We are planning a single-day pre-planned highly-focused hackfest
before the Rome Tor meeting
        - teor: See the network team list for venue details. I will
confirm the venue with Jon about 4 hours after this meeting. Please
email me if you have objections.
    - We need head count in the team rotation:
        https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
    - Freeze next monday!

    - DDoS mitigation in #24902. Basically, we need eyes on the
overall design/code. If we can not let that
      rot for 6 months, it would be really nice because I do believe
we really need this right now.
    -

teor:
    - Last few weeks:
        - Experimental PrivCount fixes and input data preparation
        - Helped with network load issues - learned iptables in a hurry
        - Got a new fallback list merged into 0.3.2.9
        - Specified a common format for the authority list and fallback list
    - This week:
        - Implement (more) PrivCount onion service stats
        - Get the test network running new IPv6 consensus code
        - I want more time to review or revise tickets, not sure if
it's going to happen

asn:
  Last week:
  - Helped review, fix and test #13837 and #23101. They are now in merge_ready
    and ready to get reviewed by Nick or others!  That was lots of good work to
    stabilize this feature, and it represents a good manual solution for the
    guard discovery issue until we figure out how to do prop247 (or others)
    correctly.
  - Attended RWC. Did a lightning talk on Tor open research problems. I had a
    few people and researchers approach me afterwards for running a relay or
    doing research on Tor. I pointed them to the right mailing lists,
anonbib, etc.
  - In RWC, I also talked with Jean Paul Degabriele about wide-block
designs and some
    potential drawbacks of that approach (see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFVCWWpygE)
  - In RWC, I talked to some researchers about some potential projects
on Tor+PIR.
  This week:
  - Get #13837 and #23101 merged.
  - Do review-group-29.
  - Write an email on thoughts about prop247.
  - I have a meeting on implementing proposal279 on Friday with some
people I met IRL.
  - Checkout #24902 --- the DoS mitigation thing

dgoulet:
    dgoulet:
  Last week:
    * Spent almost the entire week on circuit creation DoS mitigation.
      Code exists in #24902 for which I've been running it for ~5 days now.
    * I'm late on everything I had in the pipe and consenquently for 033 merge
      window. Sorry if anyone is waiting on me.
  This week:
    * Hope to regain a bit of a normal state so I can progress on other
      things for 033.
    * Work on opened tickets and review
    * Still need to investigate a couple of things with regards of this DoS
      including if Tor can open multiple connections to a relay in parallel.

ahf:
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Talked with David about his ideas about the current tracing
              subsystem in Tor and how to extend it with systemtap/dtrace.
            - Continued looking into container memory usage in different
              subsystems: protover, directory*, connection code.
            - Extended DTrace code with probes in different parts of
the codebase:
              bootstrap, containers, allocators.
        Misc:
            - Read up on arma's PT/Snowflake proposal, looked at what Snowflake
              is/does.
            - Wrapped my head around dgoulet's DoS protection subsystem.
            - Reviewed #24641.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Land DTrace code + DTrace programs to tor.git with some "simple"
              hooks focused around the bootstrap process.
            - Ensure the DTrace probes with SystemTap (DTrace'ish
thing for Linux).
            - Test SystemTap directly on Android device.
            - Compile some sort of document that allows us to discuss memory
              optimization strategies.

catalyst:
    Last week (2018-W02):
        - investigating Travis CI failures with clang (#24863)
        - reviewed #24423 (STACK warnings)
        - more work on #24661
        - took Friday as a sick day due to spending all afternoon in
Urgent Care -- still unwell but recovering
    This week (2018-W03):
        - monitor the Travis issues and submit workarounds if needed.
any opinions on how long to wait for a fix from Travis before applying
a workaround?
        - follow up on STACK stuff if needed
        - monitor CoC feedback
        - do some prerequisite refactoring for #24661

Nick:
    Last week:
        - followed up on proposal 285 (utf-8)
        - started revising proposal 286 (hibernation interface)
        - wrapped up review-group-28, and my part of review-group-29.
        - worked on STACK issues
        - commented on CoC discussions
        - Followed DoS threads
        - Worked on experiments for how to disable ancient zombie tor
clients gracefully.
        - Reviewed a proposed statement of work for roger
    This week:
        - Follow up on open proposals again
        - Maybe open review-group-30. (If you want your 0.3.3 patches
reviewed before the freeze, please review stuff in review-group-29.
Especially if you haven't been reviewing so much!)
        - See how many quick-and-dirty 0.3.3 things I can do.
        - Maybe, put out some stable releases? (After discussion: No,
do it next week, to get more DoS fixes in them.)
        - Go through codebase, looking for restart-in-process issues
        - check if we can improve crypto performance with omit-frame-pointer

isabela:
    sponsor4 - figuring out how to solve the dependencies on network team
    sponsor8 - probably wont have time to start report this week but will see :)
    sponsor bucket - things are moving on thanks to Roger (reviewed
his work plans etc last week)
    Organizing nyc meetup meeting this wed at EST 7pm on tor-meeting channel
    User testing on India - we want to include something related to
the .onion states (give more updates on it next week)