[tor-project] 'How to Run a Relay' Brochure/Flier

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Fri Jan 12 19:30:00 UTC 2018

George:
> Tom Ritter:
>> I think we should make one. It'll be useful at Defcon, HOPE, and a
>> bunch of other places.
>
> Oh, yes.  MakerFaire (EFF table).. this list could get very long.
>

>> I'm hoping Alison/the community team thinks this is a good idea and
>> can assist me in making sure it dovetails with the rest of their
>> efforts in https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24497

This is great, thanks for getting it started Tom. I haven't had a free
moment to contribute to this doc yet but I did take a quick look at the
outline you have on the pad, and I think you'll be able to just c&p some
of the text straight from the wiki.

>> What I probably _can't_ do is graphically design it in a way that
>> meshes well with any other materials we have. I talked with Steph in
>> December, she may be interested in this?
>>
>> I've started a pad to start this process and cover what I think should
>> be contained: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kOwybHn5VZdMRDm1L-kQg6P-DMC3G2w0Zn5XLQ1ZRjV
>>

> Cool.  I'm on it now.
>
>> We have to fit everything on front-and-back on a standard 8.5x11"
>> sheet so we'll have to make some tough decisions about what we include
>> and what we don't, but this is a start.
>
> Er, maybe A4, Letter, etc. for portability sake?

+1

> I brought this up on irc recently, but I think the FAQ and related
> documents can maybe start reflecting some of the recurring questions at
> the meetup-type events (NYC, Athens at this point AFAIK).
>
> I have my notes from Dec 7 still, and will work through them, but with
> the newscycle at least implicitly being relevant to the TP on occasion,
> the nature of questions will change.
>
> Off the top of my head, even if included in the FAQ already, include:
>
> * is it illegal to run an exit| run a relay?
>
> * will my ISP care if I run a relay?
>
> * bandwidth accounting usage-related
>
> * hardware recommendations
>
> * colo/vps recommentations

A bunch of these types of things have answers/resources on the wiki, too.