[tor-project] Crowdsourcing some guidelines for what it means to make a web site "Tor-friendly"

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Fri Jan 12 17:06:00 UTC 2018

Allen Gunn:
> Hello friends,
>
> I hope 2018 is off to a good start wherever this finds you.
>
> So for those who aren't aware, my NGO, Aspiration, advises other NGOs
> and activists on technology as part of our core mission.
>
> And a common piece of advice we proffer is "make sure your web site
> works well with Tor Browser", i.e., doesn't use Flash or overly depend
> on Javascript.
>
> The more I have given that advice, the more I have wondered if it was
> documented anywhere what it actually takes to be a "Tor-friendly" site.

Great initiative!

> Big thanks to GeKo, who first confirmed for me that no such
> documentation seems to exist. And then for helping me to bootstrap this
> page:
>
> https://pad.riseup.net/p/torfriendlysite

I can only see a 'lol' on there now. See attachment.

Has it been defaced?

I wanted to check your guidelines for "don't overly depend on Javascript".

Something that could be interesting would be to give more hints on which
aspects of JavaScript will definitely not work and be blocked by Tor
Browser and which other aspects work fine in Tor Browser.

While still making it clear that people running Tor Browser are more
likely to disable JavaScript all the way, so there should be a
reasonable fallback for them.