[tor-project] OONI Monthly Report: December 2017

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Wed Jan 10 10:10:11 UTC 2018

Hello,

The OONI team made steady progress in December 2017.

We established three new partnerships and updated our test list
documentation and several test lists. We deployed OONI Explorer based on
our re-engineered data processing pipeline, and we developed a new
endpoint for OONI Proteus that allows OONI Probe instances to obtain
lists of URLs for dynamic testing. We also made a lot of progress on the
revamping of the OONI Probe mobile apps, particularly in preparation for
our next release which will include IM tests. We also participated at
the 34th Chaos Communication Congress, where we presented OONI and
engaged participants with OONI via our assembly.

# Established new partnerships

We are excited to have formally established three new partnerships! We
now also have the opportunity to collaborate with:

1. Association of Freedom of Thought and Expression (AFTE) - Egypt

2. Digital Society of Zimbabwe (DSZ) - Zimbabwe

3. Campaign for Human Rights and Development International (CHRDI) -
Sierra Leone

As part of our new partnerships, we aim to collaborate on the stable
collection of network measurements from local vantage points, the
creation and maintenance of censorship measurement resources (i.e. test
lists), and on reporting on censorship events.

# Updated test list documentation

To support community members, we updated our documentation to include a
new section describing the type of research required for contributing to
test lists.

The updated test list documentation is available
here: https://ooni.torproject.org/get-involved/contribute-test-lists/

# Updated test lists

During December, we collaborated with community members on updating the
following test lists:

1. Ukraine: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/269

2. Belarus: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/273

3. Russia: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/271

# OONI Explorer based on new pipeline

As of early December 2017, OONI Explorer serves measurements based on
the new OONI data processing pipeline.

# New OONI Orchestrate API

We have developed a new endpoint for OONI Proteus that allows OONI Probe
instances to obtain a list of URLs to test dynamically. This will make
it easier to provision probes with fresh test lists.

See: https://github.com/TheTorProject/proteus/pull/33

# OONI Probe mobile

A lot of progress has been made on revamping the OONI Probe mobile app.
We have been working on preparing a release, coming out in January 2018,
that will allow users to test instant messagging apps (WhatsApp,
Facebook Messenger, and Telegram) for censorship via the OONI Probe
mobile app. The new design mockups for iOS and Android are finalized and
ready for the implementation phase.

# Community activities

## 34C3

The OONI team attended the 34th Chaos Communication Congress (34C3),
Europe's largest annual hacker conference on technology, society, and
utopia.

At 34C3, we hosted an assembly (called "OONI-verse") where we showcased
OONI tools and engaged participants with the OONI project. Information
about our assembly is available
here: https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/wiki/index.php/Assembly:OONI-verse

We also presented OONI at 34C3 in a lecture titled: "OONI: Let's fight
internet censorship, together!"
(https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/Fahrplan/events/8923.html)
<https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/Fahrplan/events/8923.html%29>

Furthermore information about our participation at 34C3 is available
through our relevant blog post: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooni-34c3/

## LAVITS and Primavera Hacker 2017

OONI was also presented at two conferences in Chile: LAVITS and
Primavera Hacker 2017.

Further information is available
here: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooni-lavits-phacker-2017/

## Translations

1. Derechos Digitales (our partner from Chile) translated the OONI Risks
documentation to Spanish: https://ooni.torproject.org/es/about/risks/

2. In preparation for the release of new instant messaging app tests,
the OONI Probe mobile apps were translated by community members to the
following languages: Arabic, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese,
French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Norwegian, Persian, Russian, and
Spanish.

# OONI highlights from 2017 and plans for 2018

As the end of 2017 approached, we published a blog post outlining some
OONI highlights from 2017, as well as our plans for 2018 (encouraging
community feedback and participation).

This blog post is available
here: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooni-in-2017/

# Userbase

In December 2017 OONI Probe was run 280,924 times from 4,550 different
vantage points across 210 countries around the world.

This information can also be found through our stats
here: https://api.ooni.io/stats

~ The OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou