[tor-project] UX Team January 2018 report

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Tue Feb 13 21:55:09 UTC 2018

The UX team is cooking with gas in 2018!!

We did a lot of work this January, and are preparing to share a lot with
the community during the Rome Meeting.  Keep an eye on the meeting
schedule to know when and what o/ We will also be at IFF doing user
testing on March 6 (at the tabling thing they will have) from 2-4pm.

Here is some really cool stuff we did in January:

User Testing in India
=====================

- Helped organize Tor Meetup Mumbai 18 - together with Sukhbir and Tor
community folks.
    https://blog.torproject.org/secure-communication-gaining-momentum-india

- At the Mumbai Meetup we did somem user testing of .onion services and
Tor Launcher
    Tests methodology and scripts can be found here:

 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KdnEsAlXdkQT4EBsRUAEgzqz5lkdmjNBUB29YfEFLSE/edit

- We now have our own survey tool which was deployed and tested at
meetup in Mumbai
    This tool will be very useful to collect user feedback.
    https://survey.torproject.org (also exist as a .onion service!)

Website
=======

Styleguide
- Our styleguide is done! https://styleguide.torproject.org
- We also added icons we created for metrics team to it - see ticket
#24664 for more info.
- Next is to tell the world it exist!

Support Portal
- Desktop UX/UI is done. Waiting for translations.
- Support mockups for Mobile are on development ->
https://marvelapp.com/3i2hggg/screen/37876933
- Support portal coding 90% completed. Fixing usability issues and bugs

Comms Portal
- We start to design our community.torproject.org portal, you can find
links to our mocks at the ticket #24133

Collaboration with other teams
==============================

Tor Browser
- #24918 was updated with some suggestions on how to present the new
location of Circuit Display on Tor Browser desktop.
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24918#comment:3
    (this work is still in progress and we are doing another round in Feb)
- We worked with the Tor Browser team on the UI for Moat on Tor
Launcher, more at #24696
- Tor Browser 7.5 was released!!!!
    https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-75-released
    Major UI updates on this release, check out the blog post with gifs
(if you haven't seem it in your browser yet!! and you should update it
then :P)

Metrics
- Worked with irl on icons for metrics team to use to communicate what
the data is about, This is now deployed.

Comms team
- Created some covers for Comms <3

 https://blog.torproject.org/news-orgs-activists-onionize-your-sites-against-censorship
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/izj7tho5c0i1az0/relays-guide.png?dl=0