[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 12 Feb 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Feb 12 20:59:44 UTC 2018

Hi!  You can find logs from our IRC meeting today at


The contents of our pad are below:

Network team meeting pad, 12 Feb 2018

           These days I use her real name
           But I don't dare to mention it.
           She hides from cameras. And now
           I've gone and put her in a poem.
                   -- Wendy Cope, "Omo"

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.
(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Meeting notes from previous weeks:
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/001644.html
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/001647.html
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-February/001654.html

Old Announcements:
    * 0.3.3.x is in feature-freeze.  No new features (except for
#24902, which has permission.).
    * No 0.3.4.x patches will be merged till the window opens on Feb 15.
    * Please, work on bugfixes!  It would be great to have this
release release on time. (Planned date is 15 April)
    * There are tons of tiny 0.3.3.x tickets.  Maybe if you can do one
of them in <X minutes for some small X, you should just do it?
    * May hackfest has been approved by Shari.
      dgoulet, teor, and isabela are organising it off-list.
      See the network-team list for updates.

    * came out Saturday.
    * Review-group-32 is open!  There are 17 tickets for us to review.
    * Meeting today (2100 UTC) to discuss UTF-8 proposal
    * No GSoC for Tor :'(     [this time]
    * We moved the hackfest 2 days later (Wednesday 30th - Sunday 3rd)
to avoid clashing with Memorial Day

    - any questions about areas of work for our roadmap planning -
please review and give feedback / trying to close this by friday feb
16.  (Let's review it again!)
    - 0.3.3 wrapup
    - 0.3.4 opening


    * Last week:
        * Alpha release of
        * Started taking a class about Coq [isis: COOL]
        * Tons of release-engineering, ticket triage, etc.
        * Tried to work on numerous small bugs
    * This week:
        * Many meetings.
        * Lunch with Isabela on Friday
        * Try to get all important stuff backported to stable releases
        * TROVE-2018-001
        * Work on sleep/wakup auditing. [ ahf: I'm doing some
experiments with Shadow on this right now - maybe we should talk about
joining forces here? ][yes,let's talk for a couple minutes right after
this? -nm][ ahf: WFM ]
        * Open 0.3.4 merge window? [asn: sounds good] [dgoulet: +1, on
schedule :)]
        * Try to finish identifying all must-fix issues for 0.3.3.  Please help.

        [dgoulet: Do you prefer a keyword or we tell you which one we
think are must fix or ... ?]

[asn: we are also done with review-group-31]

  * Last week:
    - Did some roadmap brainstorming with isa/asn
    - Hackfest in Seattle logistics.
    - DoS mitigation released (woot!). Final work needed for that was in
      #25193 along with work nick did in #25183.
    - Triage and commented on 033 tickets.
    - Some patches for other 033 tickets can't recall them all (see timeline).
    - Perf analysis of 033 busy relays. #25152 is a ticket resulting in that
      investigation. I think 033 is in good shape in terms of CPU cycles. The
      DoS mitigation doesn't seem to be affecting performance much.
    Timeline: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/timeline?from=Feb+12%2C+2018&daysback=7&authors=dgoulet&tag_query=&milestone=on&ticket=on&ticket_details=on&changeset=on&wiki=on&tags=on&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=&update=Update
  * This week:
    - Work on 033 tickets.
    - I have big patches for 034 in the scheduler so I'm aiming to get them in
      needs_review very close to when the merge window opens in 3 days.
    - <whatever comes up this week>

    - last week:
        - sent sponsor8 Q4 report finally o/
        - sent a proposal for roadmap(s) planning to the list, please
see discussion point above regarding the areas of work exercise/list
    - this week:
        - finalize areas of work w/ team
        - notify network testers
        - start preparing for next phase of roadmap(s) planning
        - lunch w/ nick on friday

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Did some data collection for Isa for the Q4 2017 reporting.
            - Wrote a log collection script for MainLoopStats log messages
              (from #24605).
              - Got Shadow to run with 0.3.2 with the patch from #24605.
            - Did some bug triaging for 0.3.3 bugs, moved bugs ahead, closed
              some duplicates.
            - Reviewed: #24909, #25162.
            - Landed fix for: #25120.
            - Added two possible solutions to #22926 - one was rejected, the
              second one might be better.
            - Weekend project: Wrapped my head around Tor's PT implementation
              and wrote a Quic PT -- was a fun exercise. Next step is to get
              the source IP change (roaming) feature to play nicely.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Go over S8 roadmap tasks.
            - Wrap my head around using Shadow for all experiments where it is
              suitable for reproducible results.
            - Continue memory optimization work.

    last week:
        - added extra logging temporarily to the bridgedb server on
polyanthum to attempt to debug the remainder of #24432
        - fixed a rust memleak #25127 and then
never-going-to-happen-but-if-it-did rust FFI panic!() UB
        - we should maybe be compiling our rust code with `-C
panic=abort` to avoid unwinding across FFI? not sure
        - tried to make utilities for working with static strings
across the FFI boundary #25185
        - transfered moat google appengine account to TPO ownership
        - continued a bit of work on organising how the large create
cell code should be implemented #24986
        - led a proposal meeting for consensus hash chaining prop#239
        - began scheduling proposal meetings for prop#267 prop#245 and
        - reviewed the openssl 1.1.1 patches #24978
    this week:
        - more of #24986
        - moat debugging / probably writing SQL statements by hand to
transfer the "unassigned" bridges to be assigned to moat
        - going through the appengine instance to try to document how
to set one up :/
        - more proposal meeting scheduling
        - prop#285 "make directory documents be utf-8" meeting today
at 13:00 PST (starts three hours after this meeting starts)

    * Last week:
        - Implemented and tested more Experimental PrivCount onion service stats
        - Merged the DDoS fixes into Experimental PrivCount, they work
well so fat (so fattt!) lol
        - May hackfest planning
        - Ticket triage
        - Proposal meetings
        - More planning for floating point tests in Rust and C, no
code yet [isis: lmk if i can help with anything!]
    * This week:
        - Final Experimental PrivCount features
        - Eventually make a trac user page that lists the tickets I'm
working on in priority order
        - I should get time to review or revise more tickets next week

  Last week:
  - Helped isa with roadmapping.
  - Worked some more on removing guardfraction from the codebase. And prepared
    some branches: #24456
  - Triaged 033 tickets on prop224, tor-hs and tor-guard keywords. Moved some of
    them on 034, others need further work.
  - Did some more digging on a skeleton prop#279 implementation.
  This week:
  - More work on roadmapping.
  - Help out with 033 releases and do reviews/bugfixes as needed.
  - Figure out rome flightplan.

    Last week (2018-W06):
        - travel arrangements for Rome meeting
        - Rust protover leak fix review (#25127) yay, master builds on
Travis again!
        - read some more about Rust FFI to help with #25127
        - some s8 bookkeeping for isabela
        - reviewed #25120 (log getrandom failure more quietly)
        - responding to CoC and SoV feedback
        - still slowly recovering from this cold
    This week (2018-W07):
        - Travis is currently broken on 0.3.2 due to check-changes
        - review more Rust cstr stuff
        - work on some 0.3.3 bugs
        - CoC and SoV feedback as needed

  Last week:
    - Booked tickets to rome!
    - Wrote patch for #24769
    - Reviewed #22212
    - Coordination with Matt Wright & co re adaptive padding in tor-core
    - Reorganzing and refactoring vanguards repo for easier packaging
  This week:
    - More vanguards repo work

More information about the tor-project mailing list