[tor-project] OONI Monthly Report: January 2018

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Wed Feb 7 15:59:52 UTC 2018

Hello,

The OONI team started the year by monitoring censorship events in Iran
and by reporting on them through the publication of a report. We
established two new partnerships and we released a new version of the
OONI Probe mobile apps, including tests that measure the blocking of
WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Telegram. We also made progress in
developing the new OONI Probe desktop apps and revamping the OONI Probe
mobile apps.

# Report on censorship events in Iran

Thanks to network measurements collected by OONI Probe users in Iran, we
were able to examine the censorship events that were reported amidst
major anti-government protests.

We published a report based on our
analysis: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/2018-iran-protests/

OONI data provides evidence of TCP & DNS blocking of Telegram, Instagram
& Facebook Messenger in Iran.

# Established new partnerships

We are excited to have formally established two new partnerships! We now
also have the opportunity to collaborate with:

1. Tuwindi Foundation (Mali)
(Announcement: https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/956167750874992645)
<https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/956167750874992645%29>

2. Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS) Venezuela
(Announcement: https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/958336497140281345)
<https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/958336497140281345%29>

As part of our new partnerships, we aim to collaborate on the stable
collection of network measurements from local vantage points, the
creation and maintenance of censorship measurement resources (i.e. test
lists), and on reporting on censorship events.

Over the last few months, we have established new partnerships covering
5 countries:

1. Mali (Tuwindi Foundation)

2. Venezuela (IPYS Venezuela)

3. Egypt (AFTE)

4. Sierra Leone (CHRDI)

5. Zimbabwe (Digital Society of Zimbabwe)

# IM tests for OONI Probe Mobile

We released a new version of OONI Probe Mobile
(1.3.0, https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooniprobe-android/releases/tag/v1.3.0%2B21 & https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooniprobe-ios/releases/tag/v1.3.0%2B38)
<https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooniprobe-ios/releases/tag/v1.3.0%2B38%29> that
adds support for running Instant Messagging (IM) tests. These tests
measure the blocking of WhatsApp, Telegram and Facebook Messenger.

Announcement: https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/953316589494968320

# Revamping of OONI Probe Mobile

We have made a significant amount of progress on revamping the OONI
Probe mobile app in terms of iterating on design mockups and
implementing some of them inside of a staging branch in
ooniprobe-android and ooniprobe-ios.

# OONI Probe Desktop App

A lot of progress has been done on the OONI Probe Desktop app front in
terms of trying out different paths of development and figuring out how
to get the CLI tool to speak to the desktop app.

We aim to build a Windows prototype of an app for Windows by the end of
this month and as part of this try out two alternative approaches for
making the desktop GUI communicate to the CLI (a node.js CLI tool vs a
golang CLI tool).

# Probe Orchestration Specification Audit

An architectural overview of the unattended probe orchestration system
was audited and reviewed by Cure53. Based on their input and suggestions
we will be implementing the OONI Probe Orchestration system over the
upcoming months.

# Community activities

We held a community meeting on 30th January 2018 on the #ooni channel on
IRC and Slack (http://slack.openobservatory.org/)
<http://slack.openobservatory.org/%29>. As part of the meeting, we
discussed the following topics:

1. Accessing OONI data and using it on demand: ooni-sync and data
visualization.

2. What features would you like us to be sure to include in the upcoming
OONI Probe desktop apps?

The log of the community meeting is available
here: http://meetbot.debian.net/ooni/2018/ooni.2018-01-30-13.59.html

## Updated test lists

Thanks to URLs provided by community members, we updated the following
test lists:

1. Nigeria: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/282

2. Uganda: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/283

3. South Sudan: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/287

4. South Africa: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/288

5. Kenya: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/290

6. Zimbabwe: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/291

7. DRC: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/292

# Userbase

In January 2018 OONI Probe was run 426k times from 5,656 different
vantage points across 212 countries around the world.

This information can also be found through our stats
here: https://api.ooni.io/stats

~ The OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou