[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 17 Dec 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Dec 18 23:25:14 UTC 2018

Hi all!

The logs of our last team meeting of 2018 are available from
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-12-17-17.58.html

Below is the state of our pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

December-January schedule:
    * Next meeting on 17 Dec, 1800 UTC.
    * NO MEETING on 24 Dec or 31 Dec.
    * Following meeting on 8 Jan 2019, 2300 UTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
19 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002074.html
26 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002084.html
3 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002117.html
10 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002120.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:
  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

Including sbws:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should
archive?

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

* Let's try a different way of looking at proposed tickets:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/network-team-triage-2018

0.3.5 (bugs only):
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

0.4.0: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~040-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as
"fix" the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/ISA5L5nH0Xu88iqSCx9ZjCXYSMKOBTdbUeWarbdGmxx

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

<< Remember that priority is Sponsor 8 - roadmap is sort out by
priority >> Activity O2.5 is the one we are missing and need to be
done by the end of December 2018.

-------------------------------
---- 17 December 2018
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

This week's meeting is on Monday at 1800 UTC.

Please don't bulk-delete all the old entries from this pad any more.
Instead, delete the "planned" and "actual" for the previous week, but
leave the "planned" for this week in place. Please check the dates
before deleting.

Gaba> Sponsor 8 Q4 REPORT : review what you worked on in the last 3
months and add any comment on it or proposal.
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/E8jZ6LwgMxa9zeyOgEye3eq6ytTaFZjCCetMYm8h3iz

Teor is bringing a proposal for proposed ticket. Please make comments
in the pad and we can discuss it in the first meeting in January when
Teor will be present https://pad.riseup.net/p/network-team-triage-2018

Reviewer role proposal is still open for comments. gaba> I will work
on it when I have a little more time to discuss it with the team in
January (we need to separte process from responsabilities).
https://pad.riseup.net/p/q0s3rQxVzSeZ

== Discussion ==

* Who needs help with reviews?
  Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:
  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Sponsor 8 is wrapping up in December. Right now working on this:
catalyst, ahf, dgoulet, teor, nick. Any of you need help with it?

* Nick would like to do review & merge stuff this week.

* Sponsor 31 in da house. Modularization proposal. We are creating
activities for the milestones [0] and soon need to add tickets and
incoporate some of them in January. It will be included in the roadmap
creation in Brussels.  [0] -> Sheet milestones of this document
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/a-NKHPmkxDOuAGNaFpOrd3AIXJ4mDgIbL5sIjf4AHVP

* Start thinking about what we are going to do during hackweek. We can
discuss in January
https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-agenda-hackweek-2019.1-keep

* When are people taking end-of-year vacation?  (When are you planning
to get back?)

* Nick: Dec 22 through Jan 1. Returning Jan 2 or Jan 3.

* Gaba: Dec 24th through Jan 1st. Returning Jan 2nd.

* ahf: Dec 24th to Jan 1st, returning Jan 2nd.

* dgoulet: Sent on network-team list.

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

Nick:

    Week of 12/10 (planned):
        - Try to fix as many 035 and 040 bugs as possible
        - Fuzz #28755 et al via (#28808)
        - Reschedule 0.3.5 (and 0.4.0?) release plans.
    Week of 12/10 (actual):
        - Fuzzed and revised K=V implmentation (#28755)
        - Reviewed and released clusterfuzz non-issue
        - Opened subtickets for startup performance issue (#28481),
wrote patches for most.
        - Final 035-rc-blocker triage
        - Review and merge a whole lot of stuff
        - Revised planned dates for releases on the wiki.
    Week of 12/17 (planned):
        - Release 0.3.5.6-rc
        - Brook travel to brussels.  I have the dates right, yeah? Jan
29 through Feb 1?
        - Review and merge a whole lot of stuff
        - Prioritize remaining 035 issues.
        - Snowflake spec (begin)
        - Early planning on modularization stuff
        - Followup on the openssl tickets I opened last week
(https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/7894,
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/7895 )
        - End-of-year checkin with various folks
        - Help with S8 final reporting, if needed.
        - Fix scan-build warnings

     Want help with:

Mike:
    Week of 12/10 (planned):
        - Custom 0.2.9 backport of #27049 fix?
        - wtf-pad unittests
    Week of 12/10 (actual):
        - Work on more tests for wtf-pad. 93.5% test coverage.
    Week of 12/17 (planned):
        - Finish up wtf-pad tests
        - Review wtf-pad type sizes
        - wtf-pad negotiation tweaks
        - wtf-pad mechanism to keep idle circuit open to pad
   Want help with:

ahf:
Week of 12/10 (planned):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Get some help with solving the dependency issue between
src/lib/* code in patch for #28179.
        - Update specs for STATUS with example K/V pairs from
currently deployed PT's.
        - Get #28179 reviewed again.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Continue to debug #28726 JS/Go proxy code.
    Misc:
        - Sysadmin interviews.
Week of 12/10 (actually):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Got help with solving the dependency issue between src/lib/*
code in patch for #28179 from David and Nick.
        - Pushed updates to #28179, pending review.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Updated my setup with lots of debug info for #28726.
    Misc:
        - Did some minor tweaks for the tor-win32 scripts (enabled CI for
          pushes+nightly, 64-bit builds and some fixes that asn needed
to run his tests).
        - Sysadmin interviews.
        - Looked at code from some of the final anti-censorship candidates.
Week of 17/10 (planned):
    Sponsor 8:
        1. Fix whatever fixes are needed for #28179
        2. Submit patches for #28846, and maybe #28849
        3. Get back to #27100.
        - Q4 reporting.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Help if there is need with some of the spec work.
        - Look at the last candidates code sample. Discuss next steps.

asn:
    Week of 12/10 (planned):
    - Continue doing fixups on #28142:
      - Currently 32-bit appveyor is failing on the stochastic prob distr
        tests. I'm not sure what's going on there and why it's failing only on
        32-bits. I have informed Riastradh on this and see what he tells
        me. Other than that, maybe the tests are busted on 32-bits and we have
        to disable them.
      - I have more fixups to do based on past Nick's review on #28142.
      - Still need to check Mike' response on #28634.
    Week of 12/10 (actual):
    - Pushed branch with #28142 fixups!!!
      - Riastradh fixed the 32-bit appveyor issue.
      - I resolved the remaining nickm review comments on PR#461.
      - I pushed some spec fixes based on review comments.
      - Rebased and squashed the fixup branch and pushed updates on trac:
        https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28142#comment:25
    - Helped with anti-censorship hiring.
    - Did reviews.
    Week of 12/17 (planned):
    - Do the final steps to move #28142 to merge_ready.
    - Finish up with anti-censorship hiring.
    - Do reviews.
    - Maybe look at some hsv3 tasks I've been neglecting due to #28142.
    - Will be focusing on uni stuff on Thursday/Friday.
    Help with:
    - All good.

dgoulet:
  Week of 12/10 (planned):
    - Finalize/review the STATUS notification work. Will require spec changes
      as well as code review.
    - Setup a Snowflake environment to start play with it more seriously.
  Week of 12/10 (actual):
    - Review #28755 (K/V parser library) needed for #28179.
    - Review a series of other tickets (see Timeline).
    - Patch work on couple tickets and make them ready for upstream
    - Busy week in the bad relay land.
  Week of 12/17 (planned):
    - Finalizing s8 work with ahf.
    - Do a pass over 035 tickets to see what remains after the -rc.
    - Memory profile of 040 so we can get some data on our improvements for
      sponsor 8: #28020

gaba:
    Week of 12/10 (actual):

   - S8 follow up with work that needs to be done.
https://pad.riseup.net/p/qPH3xF4JaHOB

   - 1:1s

   - anti-censorship position follow up

- s19: draft (with roger) of a possible roadmap for anti-censorship

Week of 12/17 (planned):

- S8 Q4 report

- anti-censorship position follow up

- move anti-censorship roadmap in some format we can use to track it &
assess how much of this can be done for s19

- send mail to kickoff thinking about hackweek organizing

- modularization proposal:

- finish milestones/tasks to send to sponsor
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/a-NKHPmkxDOuAGNaFpOrd3AIXJ4mDgIbL5sIjf4AHVP

- ping people to get proposal into track tickets

    help with:
     - what did we do in S8 tickets for Q4 2018? help me translate on
what it means for what you did.

catalyst:
    week of 12/10 (2018-W50) (planned):
        - CI + Coverity rotation <- nick is dong this one this week
        - reviews
        - travel request for Brussels
        - update detailed sponsor8 progress
        - more progress on orconn-tracker (#27167), specifically
adding and combining circuit tracking with the work so far
        - get feedback on #28731
    week of 12/10 (2018-W50) (actual):
        - made a lot of progress and have a working proof of concept
for orconn-tracker (#27167) that already makes substantial
improvements of behavior on what we have already
        - booked travel to Brussels
        - tried to clarify some communications of sponsor8 progress
        - thought a lot about existing and possible future bootstrap
progress phases
        - figured out a way to have a single set number assignments
for bootstrap phases for multiple tor configurations (for now?)
    week of 12/17 (2018-W51) (planned):
        - cleaning up orconn-tracker for review -- mostly it needs
some commits detangled (mostly done, after much wrestling with
interactive git rebase), and more documentation in commit messages and
comments, also changelogs
        - assess testing situation on orconn-tracker; write new tests as needed
        - if there's time, work on reporting intermediate application
circuit building progress during bootstrap (#27104) -- a lot of the
work is already in orconn-tracker
        - adjusting sponsor8 tickets to better reflect reality
        - worked through the weekend so i might take some time off
(but still reachable on Signal; IRC and email higher latency)
    help with:
        - early feedback on orconn-tracker is helpful, if you're
willing to look at it before i finish commenting and documenting (code
and behavior won't change very much at this point)

teor (offline):

Week of 10 Dec (planned):
    High-Priority:
        - Need to update the fallback directory mirrors, they are
causing bootstrap issues
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - And also on networks that drop packets
        - Continue to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
            - integration testing for clock skew?
            - chutney CI
            - earlier s8 bugfixes
    Medium-Priority:
        - up to 1 day of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews

Week of 10 Dec (actual):
    High-Priority:
        - Sent network team meeting time email to tor-dev, because
we're back to our regular schedule
        - Sent pad and meeting notes to tor-project
        - Need to update the fallback directory mirrors, they are
causing bootstrap issues
            - Did the fallback list merge (thanks Phoul!)
    Medium-Priority:
        - 1.0 days of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Other code reviews

        - Took a few days off due to illness

    Week of 17 Dec (planned):
    High-Priority:
        - Sponsor 8 tasks
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - And also on networks that drop packets
        - Continue to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
            - integration testing for clock skew?
            - chutney CI
            - earlier s8 bugfixes
        - Send reminder emails for team meetings at:
            2300 UTC on Tuesday 8 January 2019,
            1800 UTC on Mondays 14 and 21 January,
            miss 28 January and 4 February due to hackfest/FOSDEM
            our first February meeting 2300 UTC on Tuesday 11 February
    Medium-Priority:
        - up to 1 day of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews

        - I might need to take some more time off

Week of 17 Dec (actual):

    Help with:
        - If there's anything I urgently need to do this week, please
send me a Signal message or email

juga (offline):

    - Week 12/10 (planned)
        - disable connection padding in sbws' Tor (#28692)
        - Try enabling predicted circuits (#28701)
        - Explain reasons why sbws might stall and find out more (#28663)
        - send scanner metadata as part of every HTTP request (#28741)
- Week 12/10 (actual)
    - disable connection padding in sbws' Tor (#28692)
    - Try enabling predicted circuits (#28701)
    - Explain reasons why sbws might stall and find out more (#28663)
    - send scanner metadata as part of every HTTP request (#28741)
    - Make info level logs more clear and consistent (#28736)
    - Stop allowing destination serving files without tls (#28789)
- Week 17/10 (plan)
    - continue working on why sbws stalls and all the related subtasks (#28663)
- Help with:
    - sbws tickets needing review:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/report/72