[tor-project] Network team meeting, 10 Dec 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Dec 11 14:19:33 UTC 2018


The meeting log is at:

Below are the contents of our pad from the meeting.

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
12 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002054.html
19 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002074.html
26 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002084.html
3 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002117.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

* Let's try a different way of looking at proposed tickets:

0.3.5 (bugs only):

0.4.0: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~040-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as
"fix" the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

<< Remember that priority is Sponsor 8 - roadmap is sort out by
priority >> Activity O2.5 is the one we are missing and need to be
done by the end of December 2018.

---- 10 December 2018

== Announcements ==

This week's meeting is on Monday at 1800 UTC.

Please don't bulk-delete all the old entries from this pad any more.
Instead, delete the "planned" and "actual" for the previous week, but
leave the "planned" for this week in place. Please check the dates
before deleting.

Gaba> Sponsor 8 Q4 REPORT : start adding tickets that you worked on in
the last 3 months PLEASE pretty please

Teor is bringing a proposal for proposed ticket. Please make comments
in the pad and we can discuss it in the first meeting in January when
Teor will be present https://pad.riseup.net/p/network-team-triage-2018

Reviewer role proposal is still open for comments. gaba> I will work
on it when I have a little more time to discuss it with the team in
January (we need to separte process from responsabilities).

== Discussion ==

* Discuss Snowflake
  who else go to work on it
  discuss the issues we have in the roadmap
  what came out of snowflake meeting that ahf leaded
  There is a Snowflake roadmap now that involves several teams at Tor:
  - priorities:
      - spec [nick starts this in December]
      - tests
      - not reproducible on windows
      - #25601 is a pretty bad issue for deployment right now?
      - #21314 -- at least currently, when my tor goes quiet/dormant,
my snowflake keeps on sending traffic

* We won't have meetings in the weeks of 24 and 31 December 2018
  Can we do a team meeting at 2300 UTC on Tuesday 8 January 2019?
  (teor can send out a reminder email in the last work week in December)
    [Yes, let's consider it scheduled for then.]

* Who needs help with reviews?
  There are 4 review tickets that haven't been modified in the last 2
weeks, the oldest is 5 weeks old.
  Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

* Sponsor 8 is wrapping up in December. Right now working on this:
catalyst, ahf, dgoulet, teor, nick. Any of you need help with it?

O2.5 (bootstrap reporting) is most important

REMINDER that it may be good to have this wrap up by December 20th the most.

PLAN WORK/TICKETS: https://pad.riseup.net/p/qPH3xF4JaHOB

* Please see tickets with tag "035-rc-blocker?" -- are any of them
really rc blockers?  Are there any other true rc blockers?

* Release schedule: any changes?

* Look at Teor's proposed-ticket plans in

- everybody agreeing on starting this in January 2019

- adding open questions to a section at the bottom.

== Recommended links ==

Category Theory for Programmers
Long, but even the first few chapters are useful for thinking about
functions with(out) side-effects.

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


    Week of 12/3 (planned):
        - Attend Mozlando
        - Help as needed with proposal
        - Review and merge in my spare time
        - Possibly, return to dormant-persistency code (#28624)
    Week of 12/3 (actual):
        - Attended Mozlando, talked with various Mozilla folks.
        - Reviewed and merged a bunch of code
        - Implemented #28755 (generic K=V parsing) to help out ahf and
dgoulet and teor with #28179. What can I implement for you? :)
        - Implemented dormant-persistency branch. (#28624)
    Week of 12/10 (planned):
        - Try to fix as many 035 and 040 bugs as possible
        - Fuzz #28755 et al via (#28808)
        - Reschedule 0.3.5 (and 0.4.0?) release plans.  When can we call it RC?


     Want help with:
        - Please help identify 035-rc-blocker issues, if any.


    Week of 12/03 (hopefully):
        - Finish Nick's PR fixups on the wtf-pad branch
        - Work on more tests/high prio items
    Week of 12/03 (actual):
        - Did type clarification fixes on wtf-pad; chased down
clang-specific test bug
        - Resolved conflicts between asn and my wtf-branches; Handed
off wtf-pad code branch to asn
    Week of 12/10 (planned):
        - Custom 0.2.9 backport of #27049 fix?
        - wtf-pad unittests
   Want help with:

Week of 12/03 (planned):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Finish off implementation of #27100 based on the
orconn-track branch from Catalyst.
        - Upstream disable network patch to Orbot (#25497).
        - Simpleperf tests for #28409.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Write summary of meeting and create tickets.
        - Figure out where the issue is in my setup with termination of WS
Week of 12/03 (actually):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Talked with Nick, David, and David F (dcf) about #28180 and
to both do STATUS and LOG.
        - Walked over Nick's review comments on #28179, solved the easy ones.
        - Looked at Nick's K/V parser for use in #28180 branch.
        - Walked over Meek Client + Snowflake Client code to see where
STATUS notifications would make sense.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Talked with Gaba a bit about prioritize.
        - Been trying to debug the issue in #28726 together with dcf
for my parallel Snowflake setup.
        - Sysadmin interviews.
Week of 12/10 (planned):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Get some help with solving the dependency issue between
src/lib/* code in patch for #28179.
        - Update specs for STATUS with example K/V pairs from
currently deployed PT's.
        - Get #28179 reviewed again.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Continue to debug #28726 JS/Go proxy code.
        - Sysadmin interviews.

    Week of 12/04 (planned):
    - Continue helping with WTF-PAD work. Hoping to push the branch out to Nick
      for review at the end of the week or the start of the next. Coordinate
      with Mike on how to achieve this.
    - Continue helping with anti-censorship hiring.
    - Do weekly reviews.
    Week of 12/04 (actual):
    - Lots and lots of work on #28142.
      - Worked on pushing the current #28142 WIP branch to Mike, so that we can
        swap positions. He starts writing unittests and I start doing fixups.
      - I started writing fixups for Nick's review on GH.
      - I noticed that #28142 branch started failing tests/compilation on
        appveyor, so I had to do various fixes there. It's still not green
        unfortunatey, since it's failing on 32-bit appveyor but not on 64-bit
        (see below).
      - Mike pointed out that there are about 15 of Nick's comments on GH that
        have been hidden as (outdated) with the exact same UX as the (resolved)
        ones. So now I'm writing fixups for another 15 of review comments.
    - Was assigned to come up with the coding task for the
anti-censorship applicants.
      It was pushed to the applicants late last week.
    - Did reviews.
    Week of 12/10 (planned):
    - Continue doing fixups on #28142:
      - Currently 32-bit appveyor is failing on the stochastic prob distr
        tests. I'm not sure what's going on there and why it's failing only on
        32-bits. I have informed Riastradh on this and see what he tells
        me. Other than that, maybe the tests are busted on 32-bits and we have
        to disable them.
      - I have more fixups to do based on past Nick's review on #28142.
      - Still need to check Mike' response on #28634.
    Help with:
    - Not right now. I think I'm sufficiently synched up with Mike for now.

  Week of 12/03 (planned):
    - Again, any s8 priority tasks that arise. For now, I have none lined up
      so hit me with those if you need me for s8.
    - I have one ticket that needs to be addressed part of s8 for 0.4.0
      (maybe for 0.3.5 if I can get it in before rc!): #25899.
    - Considering my "on call" status for s8, I'll jump into prop289, my next
      task on the roadmap (non-s8).
  Week of 12/03 (actual):
    - HSv3 ticket: #28669, #28275.
    - Rework with ahf the #25502 s8 spec patches (#28180).
    - Discussion with ahf on the STATUS notification message for PTs.
    - The bad-relays land was in need of a bit more attention then usual this
  Week of 12/10 (planned):
    - Finalize/review the STATUS notification work. Will require spec changes
      as well as code review.
    - Setup a Snowflake environment to start play with it more seriously.

    Week of 12/3 (actual):
     - helping with onion services proposal
     - snowflake roadmap
    Week of 12/10 (planned):

   - S8 Q4 report

   - S8 follow up with work that needs to be done.

   - 1:1s

   - anti-censorship position follow up

    help with:
     - communicating anything about sponsor8-bootstrap help/needs and progress


    week of 12/03 (2018-W49) (planned):
        - time off 12/05-12/07
        - travel request for Brussels
        - make more progress on orconn-tracker (#27167)
        - reviews
    week of 12/03 (2018-W49) (actual):
        - time off 12/05-12/07
        - noticed some fallback directories seemed slow; teor seems to
be taking care of it now
        - reviewed #28591 (accept future consensus for bootstrap)
        - responded to feedback from mcs on #27102 (decouple bootstrap
progress numbers from BOOTSTRAP_STATUS enum values)
        - opened #28731 as a quick small change to improve
troubleshooting bootstrap issues
        - as part of #27167, attempted to refactor some control event
stuff in control.c; wound up in a big tangle with getinfo/setevents
stuff. deferring for now
        - as part of #27167, attempted to refactor some control
protocol stuff in control.c; this was somewhat more successful
    week of 12/10 (2018-W50) (planned):
        - CI + Coverity rotation <- nick is dong this one this week
        - reviews
        - travel request for Brussels
        - update detailed sponsor8 progress
        - more progress on orconn-tracker (#27167), specifically
adding and combining circuit tracking with the work so far
        - get feedback on #28731
    help with:
        - feedback on #28731 (log bootstrap tag to make
troubleshooting easier) -- are users likely to report the tags if we
show them? right now we do a lot of troubleshooting from the
percentages, which might not work in the future if we need to renumber

[generally, users will either copy-and-paste whatever they get in the
logs, or report from memory if they can't copy-and-paste. The latter
reports are generally not useful. -nm]

        - there's a lot of bootstrap troubleshooting knowledge in my
head that we will still need after the sponsor8 work because older
releases will still be out there. maybe we should create a
troubleshooting guide?
        [I lean towards "yes if not too timeconsuming, but only after
s8 is done". -nm] [yes please WHEN we wrap up s8 musts]

teor (offline):

Week of 3 Dec (planned):
        - I am on bug triage this week
        - Get my macOS install working again
        - Continue to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
            - integration testing for clock skew?
            - chutney CI
            - earlier s8 bugfixes
        - up to 1 day of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews

Revised Plan:
        - Do revisions on s8 bootstrap tickets
        - Need to update the fallback directory mirrors, they are
causing bootstrap issues
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - Also on networks that drop packets
        - Update the reviewer, bug triage, and CI roles (and links) to
include sbws
        - Send pad and meeting notes to tor-project

Week of 3 Dec (actual):
        - Bug triage (x4)
        - I have a working macOS install, with backups that should
actually work this time
        - Continued to work on s8 bootstrap tickets:
            - Rebuilt the fallback list, because it was causing slow
bootstraps (#24786 and children, #28702, #28703)
            - Fuzzy match the fallback whitelist (#24838)
            - Updated the fallback script to match tor's reasonably
live consensus checks (#28571)
        - 1.5 days of of sbws reviews, no more sbws this week
        - Code reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Other small tickets
        - Updated the reviewer, bug triage, and CI roles (and links)
to include sbws

Week of 10 Dec (planned):
        - Need to update the fallback directory mirrors, they are
causing bootstrap issues
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - And also on networks that drop packets
        - Continue to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
            - integration testing for clock skew?
            - chutney CI
            - earlier s8 bugfixes
        - up to 1 day of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews

Week of 10 Dec (actual):
        - Sent network team meeting time email to tor-dev, because
we're back to our regular schedule
        - Sent pad and meeting notes to tor-project
        - Need to update the fallback directory mirrors, they are
causing bootstrap issues
            - Did the fallback list merge (thanks Phoul!)
        - 0.3 days of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Other code reviews

    Next week:
        - Send reminder emails for team meetings at:
            2300 UTC on Tuesday 8 January 2019,
            1800 UTC on Mondays 14 and 21 January,
            miss 28 January and 4 February due to hackfest/FOSDEM
            our first February meeting 2300 UTC on Tuesday 11 February

    Help with:

juga (offline):

    - Week 12/3 (planned)
        - continue with the work to monitor relays that are not
measured: start using and external tool and/or add keyvalues that
doesn't big modifications to the code
        - Update install and deploy documentation based on Torflow's
    - Week 12/3 (actual)
        - Update install and deploy configuration based on Torflow's
documentation (#28647)
        - Stop merging multiple torrc options with the same name (#28738)
        - Parse correctly torrc options that don't have an argument (#28715)
        - Make info level logs more clear and consistent (#28736)
        - Explain in the documentation that stdout will go to syslog
when running with systemd (#28761)
        - Document configuration verify option and disable urllib3
warnings (#28788)
    - Week 12/10 (plan)
        - disable connection padding in sbws' Tor (#28692)
        - Try enabling predicted circuits (#28701)
        - Explain reasons why sbws might stall and find out more (#28663)
        - send scanner metadata as part of every HTTP request (#28741)
    - Help with:
        - teor: i left a comment in PR in #28602
        - teor/nickm?: question in #21377

More information about the tor-project mailing list