[tor-project] November 2018 in sysadmin land

Linus Nordberg linus at torproject.org
Thu Dec 6 11:04:22 UTC 2018

Hi Tor,

The sysadmin and services team will start sending monthly reports,
starting right here.

# What's been done

- Moving our last three systems over to Debian Stretch; making good
  progress on most of them

- Getting Linus up to speed; there's a fabulous amount of information
  to be absorbed

- Hiring process moving along; we're still hiring a full time senior
  systems administrator

- Finding a date and a place for a in-person meeting; we're meeting the
  days before FOSDEM [0]

- Added dnsnode.net to the set of DNS servers for our zones; using
  widely anycasted servers for DNS should lower the distance that
  queries have to travel the internet

- Taking part in discussions about a search function on some of our
  websites

- Planning for how to make best use of a bunch of donated hardware

- The ordinary resolving of requests, as can be followed better over
  at [1]

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2019Brussels
[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/report/44

# Upcoming new things

- Expand the sysadmin team wiki [1] with more gory details on how
  things are being set up and run

- Open up our puppet repository, for read access

[1] https://help.torproject.org/tsa/

# Fact of the month

We're currently listing 76 official torproject.org systems [2].

[2] https://db.torproject.org/machines.cgi