[tor-project] Tor Browser team meeting notes, 27 Aug 2018
gk at torproject.org
Mon Aug 27 19:47:00 UTC 2018
Our weekly Tor Browser meeting just finished. Here are the notes, as
usual. The IRC log is found on
and the pad items are below:
Monday August 27, 2018
- Status of sandboxing discussion? [GeKo: We pick this up again
after the releases are out]
- Next meeting [GeKo: next meeting is Tue 9/4, 1800UTC due to Labor
day in the US]
mcs and brade:
- Investigated and posted a fix for #27221 (Tor Browser 8.0a10 wants
to update to 8.0a10).
- Spent a little time looking at #25694 (Improve the user experience
of updating Tor Browser).
- Worked on desktop onboarding:
- Filed and fixed #27283 (default uitour permission does not work
with 1st party isolation).
- Created a patch for #27213 (Update about:tbupdate to new
- Completed our patches for #26962 (new feature onboarding).
This week or soon:
- Out of the office:
- This Thursday and Friday (August 30 and 31).
- Next Thursday and Friday (September 6 and 7).
- Follow up on #26962 (new feature onboarding).
- Comment in #27214 (Update descriptions for onboarding).
- Do what we can for #25694 (Improve the user experience of updating
- Fix some of the about:tor and onboarding issues that are mentioned
in #27301 (TB8.0a10 UI Bugs).
- Review our notes from #22074 (undocumented bugs since FF52esr) and
file additional tickets if necessary.
- Do some testing for #26251 (Adapt macOS snowflake compilation to
-network code review
-being at the Tails summit
-helped debugging the
-start building tb8
-finish network review
-PSA: I made be harder available in the internet as usual
between wed-sat due to travel and family obligations
Worked on TBA-alpha preparations
Reviewed mobile onboarding
Began working on #26982 (httpclientandroidlib leaks information
about Android version)
Looked at Android specific about:config preferences (#27256)
Maybe TBA-alpha release, maybe?
More of #27256 and #26982
Oh, and may be AFK on Wednesday.
Not much. Waiting on reviews for mingw-clang, and feedback from
jacek on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1483762
The NSS stuff we needed in -esr60 sounds like it will land sometime
soonish, so that would unblock landing build jobs there too
Fission stuff. Keeping an eye out for Tor concerns =)
Sent a bunch of updates to #25696
- Update configuration
More updates to the mobile preferences
Finish about:tor once for all
More alpha bugs
- #13373 (RUNPATH), #24465 (libatomic): (related tickets)
compiled but running tests
boklm: we set `chrpath -d $LIB` in projects/firefox/build because
of #22242. so how should we handle that for Firefox since we remove the
Should I just manually set `chrpath` or should we let the RUNPATH
added by selfrando, or selectively remove that?
I had initially set selfrando to 0 so didn't discover it. but then
later I saw in the code that if selfrando is enabled, we remove the
RUNPATH for Firefox
[boklm: not sure yet how to handle that. Can you post your current
branch in the ticket?]
sukhe: sure, thanks.
- #26476 (Windows crash): continuing with the log comparisonz
- #27061 (langpack) when ESR 60.2 is released
- happy to help with 8.0 release including rebasing, building,
- Continue the above tasks
- worked on #26149 (Add some ansible roles for tor browser
- helped investigate updater issue (#27221) and tested the fix
made by brade and mcs
- investigated and started fixing an rbm issue (#27265)
- work on #26149 (Add some ansible roles for tor browser
- reviews if needed, and help with the 8.0 release
After this week:
- out of the office from 2018-09-06 to 2018-09-13 (included)
Investigated how to remove download dependencies during android
Created program to generate keyrings for android build files
downloaded from bintray
Create program to generate section of RBM config for android build
Create program to collect sha hashes for dependencies downloaded
from google repo and add to RBM config
[boklm: not sure generated rbm config will be easy to maintain.
Maybe this script could be doing the download directly instead of
writting rbm config?]
Verify that RBM is no longer downloading dependencies as part of
[boklm: Could you start splitting commits from your branch (for
instance, one for adding stretch to debootstrap-image, for adding
android-toolchain, for adding the new platform definition to rbm.conf,
for fixing the rust build, etc ...), so we can start reviewing them, and
merge the parts that are ready?]
- investigated #26381 (about:tor not loading on first boot in
- filed bug with mozilla (
- tjr: I have no idea. bob is out today (bank holiday) but should be
- Was there something about this only triggering when TB was
installed to a 'special folder'?
- pospeselr: nope, it's a timing issue related to tor-launcher and
sandboxing on windows [GeKo: the idea was that the desktop folder might
be treated differently with sandboxing level >= 3 as the cypherpunk
reported this is not a problem in different folders]
- root cause still a mystery
- continue digging into #26381
- try to identify which sandboxing setting is exposing the
- dig into the tab creation logic and see if I can get some sort
of idea of what the actual failure is
- fiddle around with the tor-launcher code and see if I can figure
out what exposes the issue from there
- investigate whether installing to other folders makes issue go away
- Wrote patch for #21787
- Performed audit for #26611 (verify no locale leaks in ESR60 `Intl` APIs)
- Wrote patches for #27268 (preferences cleanup), #27262 (Remove more
HTTP pipelining preferences) and #27257 (In Tor Browser prefs,
"dom.network.enabled" should have been ...)
- Opened and close #27291 (NoScript not working on TBB/ESR60 on
Windows) after investigation
- Tracked down #26561 (Onion images are not displayed)
- Tracked down #26670 (Cannot allow Canvas Image Extract in tbb 8.0a9)
- Wrote patch for #27276 (Update security slider to follow NoScript
- Posted strings for #27097 (Add "Tor News" newsletter signup link in
- Started investigation of wasm (we will disable for first stable release)
- Met with Tor uplift team
- Fix #26561, #26670, #26520 (NoScript is broken with TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1
in ESR 60-based Tor Browser)
- Create Tor Newsletter link (#27097)
- More ff60-esr fingerprinting resistance things as time allows
- Whatever's needed for next release
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the tor-project