[tor-project] July Community Team update!!!!!

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Wed Aug 22 19:59:00 UTC 2018

July 2018 Community Team highlights

Meeting notes
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Tor Meeting
In July we continued to plan the Mexico City meeting, with special
emphasis on the open days.

Outreachy and Summer of Privacy
Jaruga continued work on documentation (her work can be tracked here
[1], and Cy continued collecting Tor user issues from around the web [2]

Library Freedom Institute
Alison covered weeks 5-9 in LFI and made plans for our in-person meetup
in NYC. You can follow our progress, too [3]. We also started working
with Mozilla to bring the Glass Room Experience to North American
libraries.

Tor talks and outreach
We had a great time at the HOPE conference in NYC! Lots of people
stopped by our table, we held an excellent informal workshop about
running relays, and you can check out our "official" panel talk here [4].

Gus held a Tor meetup at FISL in Porto Alegre, Brasil [5]. He also began
planning a few other Tor outreach/UX events -- in September he'll
conduct outreach and workshops in Nairobi, Kenya, Oaxaca, Mexico, and
Mexico City. He also translated the Tor training slides into pt-BR!

Relay advocacy
Colin held a relay operator meetup at PETS in Barcelona. Around 40-50
people attended that and an onion workshop, and then everyone went to an
afterparty at a local bar. He got great feedback from local operators
and a few commitments to running new relays!

Colin, Jaruga, and nusenu worked on keeping the relay operator wiki updated.

Colin began work on system to collect new relay operator contact
information in order to send monthly "welcome" / "thank you" emails. He
also worked on updating the fallback directory list

Colin also started working with a developer on possibly reviving Tor
weather. He also began initial planning for a relay operators meetup in
Mexico City during the meeting, as well as a larger relay community summit.

User support and localization
emmapeel started as localization coordinator, and Colin helped get her
onboarded and hand off localization tasks.

The support portal had its "soft launch" and we worked on updating the
content with some of the information Cy found in researching user
issues. Gus and emmapeel worked on a localization content workflow for
the portal [6].

We created new TB 8.0 content for the Tor Browser manual and started
working on localization.

Other stuff
We changed the meeting time to Mondays at 1600 UTC to be friendlier to
more timezones.

[1] https://tor.dial.ga/
[2] https://ethercalc.org/fk4bgj7ntrbj
[3] libraryfreedom.chat (read only)