[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 13 Aug 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Aug 14 14:45:53 UTC 2018

Good hello!

Logs at:
  http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-08-13-17.06.html

Meeting notes below--

= Network team meeting pad! =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html
25 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001863.html
2 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001866.html
9 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001884.html
16 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001888.html
23 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001926.html
30 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001928.html
6 Aug: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-August/001936.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should
archive?

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

-------------------------------
---- 13 August 2018
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

- Nick is on a plane flight, scheduled to land 30 minutes before this
meeting. He might miss this one. :(

== Discussion ==

- Did everybody answer on the pad about roadmap status at
https://pad.riseup.net/p/huDStrBDgqi5 ?

- How are reviews coming?

== Updates ==

Nick:
    * Last week:
        - Put out a release candidate
        - Privcount revisions
        - NSS TLS prep-work, and started hacking on it
        - Various NSS bugfixes
        - Roadmap revisions.
        - Visiting inlaws
        - Misc review

    * This week:
        - Further privcount revisions TBD
        - NSS TLS implementation ?
        - Finalize roadmap revisions.
        - Welcome dgoulet back (on/after the 16th), ask about memory profiles
        - In theory 0.3.4 becomes stable on August 15. Delay it?
(Decided: yes, esp wrt 27080)

teor (offline):

   last week:
       - I was on the community hero rotation. It was a quiet week. We
have a great community!
       - revised macOS CI for Core Tor (#24629)
       - chutney 0.3.5 refactor fix (#26067, #26068)
       - PrivCount in Tor: blinding and encryption (#24629, #26970,
#26972, #26973)
       - bwauth mentoring (mainly
https://github.com/pastly/simple-bw-scanner/issues/182 )
       - code reviews (#26972, #23588, #27089)
       - Discovered that bridges are broken in 0.3.4 and master (#27080)
       - meeting planning

   this week:
       - I'm on leave for the local holiday on Wednesday
       - Try to fix bridges are broken in 0.3.4 and master (#27080)
       - PrivCount in Tor: blinding and encryption
           - reviews, fixes, design meeting
       - work out the earliest rust version tor supports, and add CI for it

   rest of 0.3.5:
       - Implement PrivCount in Tor noise generation (#26637, maybe #26398)
       - Merge PrivCount in Tor
       - Reduce my revision backlog

asn:
 [Will be commuting during meeting time. Will attend based on net connectivity.]
 Last week:
 - Reviewed #26885, #27003, #23576.
 - Did some more vanguard testing and submitted edits to mike's vanguard docs.
 - Revised and posted latest iteration of v3 client auth spec to
[tor-dev]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-August/013386.html
   Will wait a few days before merging it upstream.
 - Read teor's et al. (unpublished) paper on Tor statistics. There are
a few oddities highlighted in that paper that we might want to look
at.
 - Got travel arranged for Mexico!
 - Did review assignments. We have two people in vacations this week
(ahf, and dgoulet until thursday), so load was spread less thinly.
   If you are too overwhelmed with reviews, please let us know and we
will try to load balance better.
 This week:
 - Debug v3 issues.
 - Look at some vanguard stuff and maybe think about turning the
README to a blog post.
 - Do reviews

catalyst:
    last week (2018-W32):
        - reviewed #24629 (macos Travis support) and related tickets
        - more NSS patch review (problems with test-network)
        - gave feedback on Rust stuff to prep for Rustconf
        - made some subtickets for #25502 (intermediate PT bootstrap
status) and #22266 (jump-to-80% bootstrap problem)
        - talked with ahf briefly about #25502
    this week (2018-W33):
        - CI/Coverity roation
        - ticket review
        - more work on #25502 and #22266
        - home maintenance backlog

haxxpop:
    last week:
        - discussed with asn and we concluded that we should merge the
torspec branch first to make it final before I start revising my
client auth branch [asn: how long do you think i should wait before
merging? i could do it tomorrow even. wondering because the branch is
lined up for 035, so torspec merge influences final merge
date][haxpop: I think 3 days is enough because we already had a long
discussion about it]
    this week:
        - I will try to rebase my branch with master first and see if
there is anything broken
        - Revise my branch after the torspec is merged

Mike:
 Last week:
   - Wrote Sponsor2 report, sent it to our grants list, did not submit yet.
   - Did most of my code reviews; will need a second review with
#25152 [Nickm volunteers -nm]
   - Worked with packagers/prepped for next vanguard release
   - Dug into #27066. Still digging..
   - Updated branch for #25573
   - In dicussions with various people about congestion control research.
     Please see my network-team mail. Do we have any preferences for
direction and collaboration wrt that mail?
 This week:
   - Make sure Sponsor2 report is good for submission
   - Keep digging into #27066
   - Put out vanguard release
   - Continue discussions about congestion control
   - Chat with Tobias Pulls about adaptive padding implementation variants
   - Vanguards/onion service security blog post with asn?
   - Work with Chelsea+others on a peer review checklist for research?