[tor-project] Notes from April 19 2018 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Apr 20 10:36:14 UTC 2018

Notes for April 19 2018 meeting:

Roger:
1) Reminder: your team should nominate useful volunteers for swag and
glory! Kat says they've gotten only one person so far, across all teams.
2a) Defcon: The talk deadline is coming up. Do we want to submit a talk?
2b) I connected Steph to Straithe, so they can discuss Defcon crypto
privacy village use.
3) I pushed the Penn thing forward another step. Our accounting person
there is out of the office until Tuesday.
3) On Monday I begin two weeks of travel. That means I might miss the
next two Vegas meetings (and I'll generally be a lot more scarce -- use
email and be patient).
4) shari: should we ask the board to think about whether it wants to
invite anybody (like future board candidates) to mexico city?
7) Shari: it's still on my todo list: go over those 2016-2017 financial
breakouts.
8) Do we still have unclaimed Rightscon tickets?
9) Fyi, our buildbot ("jenkins") is having problems, which means some
things aren't building, which impacts website changes. I'm going to try
to learn more about what's up. I think it's tied to the recent hardware
failures.

Shari:
1) Writing job description for new Fundraising Director position.
2) Interviewing people for the Community Liaison position.
3) Working with Tommy on OTF proposal for onion services.
4) I must do my expense reports for Rome and San Francisco!
5) Following up on Amazon meek stuff.

Karsten:
1) Held an in-person team meeting in Aberdeen to plan updates to the
roadmap for the next six months.
2) Released Onionoo 6.0-1.13.0 and metrics-lib 2.3.0.

isabela:
1) working on guidelines for 3rd party integration of Tor (for Brave,
Mozilla, Cliqz etc)
2) trying to figure out the best approach to Google discontinue of
domain fronting:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/18/17253784/google-domain-fronting-discontinued-signal-tor-vpn
#25807 #25804 etc
3) writing final reports for sponsor4 (this has been interrupted so many
times :/ but i will get there!)
4) continue with candidates selections for community liaison and user
research coordinator - collaborated with job description for Censorship
Team Project Manager / Team Lead position.
5) me and antonela spoke with trainers in Costa Rica about Tor and UX!
Antonela is having a second round this Friday where they will report
usability feedback to us (first chat was for about Tor day to day work
and how UX team functions etc).
6) Leaving to Brazil tonight!!!!! I will be afk friday April 20th.
preparing my talks at Cryptorave

Mike:
1) Rabbitholing into yet more guard related dev/design issues
2) I have only used a couple sites with captchas this week. They did
give me one though. Anyone else use Tor this week with any sites that
gave them a captcha? (Anyone else use Tor this week? :)[I get very few
captchas. My main problem is sites like Fox News that simply reject me.
-arma]

Arturo:
1) Created a design brief for the illustrations of the revamped OONI
Probe mobile apps
2) Updated test lists: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/333
& https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/334
3) Supported IPYS Venezuela on their report on the blocking of a news
website:
https://ipysvenezuela.org/alerta/dos-medidas-de-censura-han-afectado-a-el-pitazo/
4) Submitted first MOSS progress report
5) Progress on probe orchestration development

Georg:
1) A new alpha release, 8.0a6, is upcoming with the latest tor release
candidate (0.3.3.5-rc)
2) I finally got the endorsement letter for the Taler folks out, thanks
to everyone who helped
3) Thought about the Appengine issue and how we should work around it
for moat/snowflake
4) Mike: did the ReCAPTCHA situation get better? What would be next
steps? Should we wait another week?
Should we get out the pitchforks? Should we reply to the Google folks?
[Okay, it seems we try to get more data points figuring our whether
there are improvements or not]
5) Reference checks for the Android dev candidates are under way

Steph
1) published a post on HotPETs. started planning a tor for journalists
post with kushal.
2) starting on main website landing page copy
3) Jon is working with GR to get OONI swag on the donate page
4) Will be talking to Alison about figuring out our DefCon village presence

Alison
1) Mexico City preliminary invites! I'd like to send our preliminary
list to Jon/tor-internal tomorrow. And I'm making a timeline for meeting
planning
2) Library Freedom Institute curriculum development
3) working on modular training slides for community.torproject.org,
getting great feedback from other trainers/Tor people
4) reviewed community liaison and user research coordinator apps
5) following up with Steph re: Defcon
6) still waiting on a response from HOPE
7) sponsor9 coordination work
8) working on the community team roadmap