[tor-project] Localized mailing lists

ilv at torproject.org ilv at torproject.org
Mon Apr 9 21:36:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

> There's a few questions embedded in this proposal.
>
> First, we have to differentiate between language- and region-based
> lists, with regions being defined by geography and language.
>
> As someone who has spawned more dead-on-arrival lists than most, I'm
> apprehensive about two things:
>
> 1. creating lists for a perceived gap which ultimately die
>
> 2. creating lists that siphon off discussion from existing lists
>
> In terms of languages, I don't know enough about the critical mass, but
> I would assume there is more than enough of a base for an ES list, at
> the very minimum. And PT_BR is obviously another solid option.
>
> The problems become a proliferation of lists that someone, say, who is
> an ES speaker *should* sub to. Now it's @global-south, plus the ES list,
> but then what about the regional question.

I would prefer to open more spaces than to think what they *should* do.

> Then the regional lists which should also be set with the respective
> language. But the regional list would likely be less of a Tor usage
> discussion than an organizing list, I'd guess.
>
> Language lists are primarily meant to provide a channel for non-English
> speakers, to state the obvious.
>
> I'm thinking very much out loud here. I worry about a proliferation of
> lists which take away from the main channels for discussion.

The idea is to open space for discussions that are not currently happening
the main channels, such as other mailing lists or IRC channels.

> I'm supportive of creating new language and/or regional lists, the
> relevant people from those groups need to consider the utility in terms
> of audience and purpose.  Think technical discussion versus organizing.
> If there's an ES list, it should likely be software-focused, since it's
> the language issue that's being approached. It can assist ES-speakers in
> LATAM, EU and beyond. But a regional list (which should be designated
> with the respective language) is more likely an organizing tool.
>
> An ES list that goes into the organizing specifics of a local event in
> LATAM will only make ES speakers not from the region yawn.
>
> Sorry if I seem to be dancing around the issue here. I think
> articulating "for whom" and "about what" for a list is vital. Dead lists
> help no one, and lists that just put more on the plate of a few Tor
> people need to be avoided.
>
> Maybe it makes sense to start with an ES list and see how it goes?

Yes, thanks for all the feedback. I think we could perfectly use a localized
list as a support, discussion and organizing tool. But we really don't know
if we don't try, so let's see how it goes :)

> Mailing lists are often chicken-and-egg problems... if you don't have
> the list, you don't recognize there's an audience.

> >> I agree that the name "global-south" is suboptimal, but we've had
> >> multiple conversations about this (I think you've been there for at
> >> least a couple of them), most recently discussions in Rome, where the
> >> rough consensus was that the name is problematic but less problematic
> >> than other choices and there isn't a better option that's widely
> >> recognized. So it's not exactly true that no one has gone into the
> >> process of changing it...it's been discussed in every meeting I've
> >> been in related to global south initiatives.
>

> Am I incorrect to think that @global-south list is really LATAM anyways?
>
> We should probably move towards a LATAM list to replace @global-south.
> It *seems* to be what the list is in practice.  And maybe sticking to
> some combination of language- and region-specific lists is the right
> direction.

Saludos.
--i