[tor-project] Localized mailing lists

ilv at torproject.org ilv at torproject.org
Mon Apr 9 21:24:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 4/6/18 8:10 AM, Vasilis wrote:
> > Hi ilv,
> >
> > ilv at torproject.org:
> >
> >> I want to propose the idea of having localized mailing lists. It is obvious
> >> that there is a language barrier for users, volunteers and new contributors
> >> that don't handle english very well or at all. Yes, you could say that having
> >> yet another mailing list won't help, but I would argue that for non-english
> >> speakers might be a space for discussion and communication that you might not
> >> find in lists such as tor-talk, tor-dev or tor-project.
>
> Thank you Israel for organizing this proposal :) I think we are growing
> and we are seeing the need more and more. This has been discussed a few
> times (we were together on the discussion) where we thought we needed to
> be more mobilized as Tor and have more people involved to open one lang
> specific list and I think we are now, at least with Spanish :)
>
> I would say that this should be created on the need basis, as you are
> doing. So folks don't feel we have to go and open a list for every
> language on the planet at this right moment ;)

Yes, I agree :) I think there is a critical mass for other languages as well but
we should go with the need basis.

> >> Mailing lists in plural sounds scary so I propose to start with the following:
> >>
> >> Name: tor-lang-es at lists.torproject.org (according to #15140 [0] the main issue
> >> in the past was the name).
> >>
> >> Purpose: General discussion in Spanish, including announcements, user
> >> questions and technical discussion.
> > Do you think that including discussion in Portuguese will make sense?
> I would not include PT - not that people don't like each other :) but I
> think PT will have a critical mass of its own and soon could open it's
> own lang list for discussion in PT.

I also agree on this, PT has it mass on its own.

> >> For what I have seen and heard of events in Latin America I think there is
> >> enough "critical mass" to consider this. And if we do, there is a good chance
> >> this community gets more cohesion and grow.
> > What if we use the global-south mailing list?
>
> I agree with Israel on the critical mass. As I said above, I remember
> the meeting in Montreal and the idea of the global-south list was more
> to kick off the initiative but we knew the need for language specific
> lists existed but was waiting to build the critical mass around it.
> Which we have done a great job so far :) that is why we are now ready
> for ES list! \o/ viva
>
> > From what I know there are already a lot of people from LATAM there and many
> > discussions take place in Portuñol
> > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portu%C3%B1ol), this way we are not going to lose
> > people in the process of moving/migrating to another mailing list.
> I would not worry about the migration of folks, we can send an email to
> the global south list letting people know and also reminders whenever
> its appropriated, like in a reply to a new person writing to
> global-south in Spanish.

I wouldn't want LATAM to "take over" the global south list. IMO it has a different
purpose and we would be excluding existing members and newcomers from other places
(i.e. India).

Saludos.
--i