[tor-project] Localized mailing lists

Vasilis andz at torproject.org
Fri Apr 6 15:19:00 UTC 2018

Alison Macrina:
> On 04/06/2018 07:10 AM, Vasilis wrote:
>> Since the global-south name is horrible and we have never gone into
>> the process of changing I guess it will make sense to rename the
>> list (and the IRC channe) and then announce it to the world as the
>> LATAM Tor mailing list?
> I agree that the name "global-south" is suboptimal, but we've had
> multiple conversations about this (I think you've been there for at
> least a couple of them), most recently discussions in Rome, where the
> rough consensus was that the name is problematic but less problematic
> than other choices and there isn't a better option that's widely
> recognized.

Many people from LATAM don't usually like this term and unfortunately these
people are not with us during the Tor meetings. Personally I have been
questioned about the name 'global-south' in Chile, Argentina and various regions
in Brazil. For anyone interest in the topic, some basic info on why this term is
not ideal to many people:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_South#Debates_over_the_term

> So it's not exactly true that no one has gone into the
> process of changing it...it's been discussed in every meeting I've
> been in related to global south initiatives.

Doesn't the term 'global south' being discussed in every meeting justifies the
significant importance of this issue, otherwise would it be a thing to discuss?

Saudações,
~Vasilis