[tor-project] Localized mailing lists

isabela isabela at riseup.net
Fri Apr 6 12:31:19 UTC 2018

On 4/6/18 8:10 AM, Vasilis wrote:
> Hi ilv,
>
> ilv at torproject.org:
>
>> I want to propose the idea of having localized mailing lists. It is obvious
>> that there is a language barrier for users, volunteers and new contributors
>> that don't handle english very well or at all. Yes, you could say that having
>> yet another mailing list won't help, but I would argue that for non-english
>> speakers might be a space for discussion and communication that you might not
>> find in lists such as tor-talk, tor-dev or tor-project.

Thank you Israel for organizing this proposal :) I think we are growing
and we are seeing the need more and more. This has been discussed a few
times (we were together on the discussion) where we thought we needed to
be more mobilized as Tor and have more people involved to open one lang
specific list and I think we are now, at least with Spanish :)

I would say that this should be created on the need basis, as you are
doing. So folks don't feel we have to go and open a list for every
language on the planet at this right moment ;)

>> Mailing lists in plural sounds scary so I propose to start with the following:
>>
>> Name: tor-lang-es at lists.torproject.org (according to #15140 [0] the main issue
>> in the past was the name).
>>
>> Purpose: General discussion in Spanish, including announcements, user
>> questions and technical discussion.
> Do you think that including discussion in Portuguese will make sense?
I would not include PT - not that people don't like each other :) but I
think PT will have a critical mass of its own and soon could open it's
own lang list for discussion in PT.

>> For what I have seen and heard of events in Latin America I think there is
>> enough "critical mass" to consider this. And if we do, there is a good chance
>> this community gets more cohesion and grow.
> What if we use the global-south mailing list?

I agree with Israel on the critical mass. As I said above, I remember
the meeting in Montreal and the idea of the global-south list was more
to kick off the initiative but we knew the need for language specific
lists existed but was waiting to build the critical mass around it.
Which we have done a great job so far :) that is why we are now ready
for ES list! \o/ viva

> From what I know there are already a lot of people from LATAM there and many
> discussions take place in Portuñol
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portu%C3%B1ol), this way we are not going to lose
> people in the process of moving/migrating to another mailing list.
I would not worry about the migration of folks, we can send an email to
the global south list letting people know and also reminders whenever
its appropriated, like in a reply to a new person writing to
global-south in Spanish.

Thanks,
isabela