[tor-project] Localized mailing lists

Vasilis andz at torproject.org
Fri Apr 6 12:10:00 UTC 2018

Hi ilv,

ilv at torproject.org:

> I want to propose the idea of having localized mailing lists. It is obvious
> that there is a language barrier for users, volunteers and new contributors
> that don't handle english very well or at all. Yes, you could say that having
> yet another mailing list won't help, but I would argue that for non-english
> speakers might be a space for discussion and communication that you might not
> find in lists such as tor-talk, tor-dev or tor-project.

I can verify that this is a fact according to my life experience in LATAM and
makes a lot of sense to have such a LATAM (language) specific mailing list.

> Mailing lists in plural sounds scary so I propose to start with the following:
>
> Name: tor-lang-es at lists.torproject.org (according to #15140 [0] the main issue
> in the past was the name).
>
> Purpose: General discussion in Spanish, including announcements, user
> questions and technical discussion.

Do you think that including discussion in Portuguese will make sense?

> For what I have seen and heard of events in Latin America I think there is
> enough "critical mass" to consider this. And if we do, there is a good chance
> this community gets more cohesion and grow.

What if we use the global-south mailing list?
From what I know there are already a lot of people from LATAM there and many
discussions take place in Portuñol
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portu%C3%B1ol), this way we are not going to lose
people in the process of moving/migrating to another mailing list.

Since the global-south name is horrible and we have never gone into the process
of changing I guess it will make sense to rename the list (and the IRC channe)
and then announce it to the world as the LATAM Tor mailing list?

Saudações,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162