[tor-project] Notes from April 5 2018 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Apr 6 07:16:39 UTC 2018

Notes for April 5 2018 meeting:

Roger:
1) Brave is integrating Tor into their browser and this means we're
going to have some trademark questions to answer soon ("no, those are
Tor Private Tabs. Of course they're less safe than Tor Browser. Why are
you so confused?"). Also, they could be convinced to run relays and/or
donate for running relays. We should hook up Steph and Shari with their
press people. And we need somebody to take point on this relationship.
[Conclusion: this isn't just Brave, it's Cliqz, Mozilla, Facebook, etc
who are working to integrate Tor into their things. We're going to get
together a team of people -- dev, press, relay capacity, etc to try to
handle the question more generally.]
2) Steph: Status on Rightscon booth plan? Plans for three bonus
Rightscon tickets? [steph: we're on track for a free, half day booth.
waiting to hear about time slot.]
3) Mike: you sent the google recaptcha mail right? [GeKo: I got copied,
so it seems "yes"]

Mike:
1) Sent mail to a DoS engineer I know at Google. No reply.
2) tor-dev things

Georg:
1) We are almost done with putting our final roadmap in place and
started to work according to it
2) We worked with the UX team on the improved circuit display and
security controls, exciting!
3) We did the first two interviews for the Android related position

Nick:
1) Nothing much happening. Isabela and I are doing more regular meetings
with team members who wanted them.
2) Will 0.3.3-stable come out on 15 April? Probably not, but 0.3.3-rc is
possible.
3) Trying to read all Summer of Privacy applications later today; I'm
behind there, and need to catch up.
4) Trying to triage all the 034 tickets with my team.

Steph:
1) The DDG Privacy Challenge ends April 10. If we raise $500 this week
(tues-tues), we get $2,000. $153 left to go as of April 5 14:00 UTC
2) Submitted for a half day booth at RightsCon, waiting to hear about
time slot.
3) Helping with the next nyc meetup
4) Edited multiple blog posts
5) Finalizing donor material on onion services
6) Talking through going to Def Con so I can get a better feel for it to
make future proposals.

Alison:
1) did a workshop at the Texas Library Association conference in Dallas
yesterday; it was good!
2) big priority today is getting a bunch of sponsor9 tasks done
(organizing with our contacts, getting our materials together, etc).
3) code of conduct vote is still happening. please vote!
4) working on a new meeting time for the community team
5) waiting on sysadmins to create a new mailing list for meeting
planning; once that's done I'll coordinate with the meeting planning
group that formed in Rome
6) in the meantime I'm helping Jon some with Mexico City related tasks
7) preparing for a talk in June at the French librarian's congress in La
Rochelle
8) more LFI prep, lots of curriculum development
9) reviewing community liaison applicants!!!!
10) helping some with next NYC Tor meetup
11) way behind on writing community team roadmap but it's on my list!
12) Tommy is actively seeking funding for global south meeting/meetup
related stuff
13) privacy meetups in Pune, India (run by kushal) seem to be going well
and are happening regularly
14) are people nominating volunteers for special swag and glory? make
sure your team is doing this and telling kat5! [ux team is so little i
am checking tho:isabela]
15) sukhe has been working with the Toronto Public Library to help
further their Tor Browser program (they're doing a pilot in one library
and then eventually want to be TB on all public computers, then run an
exit!!!!!!!)
16) Phoul is working on a new proposal to deal with the endless
frontdesk@ queue
17) Phoul is also making progress on all the Outreachy and Summer of
Privacy tasks
18) I sent you all an email with the list of invitees from Rome. let's
start preliminary planning who we want to invite to Mexico City.

Arturo:
1) Published our research on how we are going to approach developing a
methodology for investigating internet blackouts:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/investigating-internet-blackouts/Investigating-Internet-Blackouts-Methodology-2018-03.pdf
(announcement blog post:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/investigating-internet-blackouts/)
2) Published a blog post on the internet blackout in Sierra Leone
following the elections:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/sierra-leone-network-disruptions-2018-elections/
in collaboration with Campaign for Human Rights and Development
International
3) Will soon publish March report
4) Did some research and wrote a statement for the Internet Sans
Frontier press release on the shutdown of social media in Chad:
https://internetwithoutborders.org/chad-is-blocking-social-media-and-messaging-apps-again/
5) Reached prototype quality version of OONI Probe desktop for macOS:
https://github.com/openobservatory/ooniprobe-desktop. Golang is the
winner of the language war for writing the CLI interface.
6) Some progress on the Tor-in-MeasurementKit integration:

Karsten:
1) Wrote a first draft document containing approximately 2500 words with
a graph specification of the relay users graph and sent it Tor folks
outside of the metrics team for an initial review.
2) Discussed which Java frameworks to include in the white paper about
CollecTor's data processing.

Isabela:
1) Decided to 'wave my tail' to all sponsors - pinging people on
different things such as status of proposals that are under review, or
status of proposals we are executing or proposals we just finished.
2) Besides these personal emails I am also writing reports (big reports
month this month)
3) catching up on tasks w/ ux team and services/infra - finishing
organizing roadmaps on gitlab kanban (yeah we are doing that) and
finishing old open tasks from ux work that are on my plate
4) many meetings, new ones are: 1:1:1 with nick and folks from network
team who requested those; wednesdays ux team meetings in April will be
focus on Tor Browser work; fridays on sponsor9 (aka website stuff) work;
sync with tommy on fridays too to follow up on censorship team work and
grant proposals.

Shari:
1) on my way to San Francisco for a bunch of meetings through the weekend
2) getting Heather (new CFGO) acclimated
3) moving to next round on ED search
4) writing job description for development (fundraising) director
5) choosing new auditor and finishing 990 for 2016 (hopefully this week)