[tor-project] Localized mailing lists

ilv at torproject.org ilv at torproject.org
Thu Apr 5 22:30:53 UTC 2018

Hey,

I want to propose the idea of having localized mailing lists. It is obvious
that there is a language barrier for users, volunteers and new contributors
that don't handle english very well or at all. Yes, you could say that having
yet another mailing list won't help, but I would argue that for non-english
speakers might be a space for discussion and communication that you might not
find in lists such as tor-talk, tor-dev or tor-project. Mailing lists in
plural sounds scary so I propose to start with the following:

Name: tor-lang-es at lists.torproject.org (according to #15140 [0] the main issue
in the past was the name).

Purpose: General discussion in Spanish, including announcements, user
questions and technical discussion.

For what I have seen and heard of events in Latin America I think there is
enough "critical mass" to consider this. And if we do, there is a good chance
this community gets more cohesion and grow.

Someone might "hey, but if we have a mailing list for language X, we should
have one for language Y". To avoid this (supposing that we want) we could set
some requirements like for example there should be at least one core member
willing to run the list.

Looking forward to discuss the idea.

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15140

Saludos.