[tor-project] Fwd: LibrePlanet 2018: Let's talk about Freedom. Embedded.

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Thu Sep 21 13:17:27 UTC 2017

Should we be there?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	LibrePlanet 2018: Let's talk about Freedom. Embedded.
Date: 	Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:19:03 -0400
From: 	Georgia Young, FSF <info at fsf.org>
To: 	Isabela Bagueros <isabela at torproject.org>

Free Software Foundation

*/Read
online:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/libreplanet-2018-lets-talk-about-freedom-embedded/*

Dear Isabela Bagueros,

Here at the Free Software Foundation, we've been planning for
LibrePlanet 2018, and guess what? It's the *tenth anniversary* of this
free software community conference, and it's happening March 24th-25th,
2018 in the Boston area!

The call for sessions <https://my.fsf.org/lp-call-for-sessions> is open
now, until November 2nd, 2017. General registration
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=71> and exhibitor and
sponsor registration <https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors/> are also
open. Pre-order a LibrePlanet 10th anniversary t-shirt
<https://shop.fsf.org/tshirts-hoodies/libreplanet-2018> when you
register to attend!

*Do you want to discuss or teach others about a topic relevant to the
free software community? You've got until Thursday, November 2nd, 2017
at 10:00 EDT (14:00 UTC) to submit your session proposals
<https://my.fsf.org/lp-call-for-sessions>.*

LibrePlanet <https://www.libreplanet.org/2018> is an annual conference
for free software enthusiasts and everyone who cares about the
intersection of technology and social justice. For the past nine years,
LibrePlanet has brought together free software developers, policy
experts, activists, hackers, students, and people who are at the
beginning of their free software journeys. LibrePlanet 2018 will feature
programming for all ages and experience levels.

If you're new to the community or to the LibrePlanet conference, check
out last year's conference site <https://libreplanet.org/2017/> and
session videos
<https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/tag/libreplanet-2017-video/>,
including the opening keynote, a look at the 21st century
techno-surveillance state by Kade Crockford of the Massachusetts chapter
of the ACLU
<https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/when-we-fight-we-win-technology-and-liberation-in-trump-s-america-6956/>.

        What kinds of sessions are we looking for?

Each year, LibrePlanet offers both technical talks and sessions
examining the intersection of free software and activism, culture, and
current events. Here are a few examples of talks or sessions you might
propose:

  *

    An examination of how free software can aid in an aspect of life
    that is important to you, like education, medicine, social
    movements, or community organizing

  *

    A workshop (for beginners or experienced users) on how to use a free
    software program or free hardware project

  *

    A project sprint, where new and current contributors to a free
    software project can meet and work together on an aspect of the project

  *

    An introduction to free software licensing, copyleft, or a deep dive
    into a current legal issue

  *

    An update on your free software project

Check out talk recordings from LibrePlanet 2017
<https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/tag/libreplanet-2017-video/>
for more ideas.

LibrePlanet's 10th anniversary theme is "Freedom. Embedded." Embedded
systems are everywhere, in cars, digital watches, traffic lights, and
even within our bodies. Proprietary software is everywhere, its sinister
aspects woven throughout the devices permeating our lives. We've come to
expect that our phones monitor our activity and share that data with big
companies, and that governments enforce digital restrictions management
(DRM).

In a society reliant on embedded systems, how do we defend computer user
freedom? How do we insist on copylefted code, protect ourselves against
government and corporate surveillance, and move toward a freer world?
For many people, digital freedom seems like a pipe dream. We change the
narrative and make free software the norm, instead of walled gardens,
denial of the right to repair, and DRM.

The FSF is committed to increasing participation by people belonging to
groups traditionally underrepresented at free software conferences,
including women, people of color, and transgender and nonbinary people.
If you are comfortable sharing demographic information on the proposal
form, please do. Your proposal will not be judged negatively should you
choose to omit information about your identity.

The LibrePlanet conference also has a safe space policy
<https://libreplanet.org/2018/safe-space-policy/>, because we want
everyone who attends to feel comfortable, cared for, and able to enjoy
the conference without worrying about harassment. The policy applies to
all conference sessions, so keep that in mind when you write your proposal.

We will hold IRC office hours in the #libreplanet channel on
irc.freenode.org so you can ask questions about the call for sessions
and get feedback on your proposal before you submit -- we will announce
hours and dates for these feedback sessions soon. You may also contact
us at campaigns at fsf.org <mailto:campaigns at fsf.org> any time between now
and the submission deadline if you have questions about your submission.

LibrePlanet has thrived for a decade thanks to the interesting ideas and
generous spirit found in the free software community. We hope you will
want to be part of LibrePlanet 2018. Submit a proposal now!
<https://my.fsf.org/lp-call-for-sessions>.

        Gratis admission for FSF members

Members <https://my.fsf.org/join> (and students with valid ID) attend
LibrePlanet gratis. FSF Associate Membership starts at just $10/month
and comes with many benefits <https://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits>.

        Need help attending LibrePlanet?

The FSF is able to offer a limited amount of funding to bring conference
participants to LibrePlanet from all around the world. You can apply for
a scholarship <https://my.fsf.org/lp-scholarship-application> through
Thursday, November 30th, 2017 at 10:00 EST (15:00 UTC). Scholarship
recipients will be notified by early January.

If you don't need a scholarship, you can help those with financial need
attend LibrePlanet 2018 by making a contribution to the conference's
scholarship fund
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=60> now, or
when you register for LibrePlanet.

        Volunteering

LibrePlanet is supported by dozens of volunteers, without whom this
community event would not happen -- and volunteers attend LibrePlanet
gratis. Applications for most LibrePlanet volunteer opportunities will
be available soon, but if you would like to help with advance outreach
(spreading the word about LibrePlanet in online communities, your
networks, and by posting flyers at schools and community spaces), please
email campaigns at fsf.org <mailto:campaigns at fsf.org>.

        Free Software Award nominations

Each year at LibrePlanet, the FSF presents its annual Free Software
Awards. Nominations for the awards <https://www.fsf.org/awards/> are
open through Sunday, November 5th, 2017 at 18:59 EST (23:59 UTC).

        Promotional opportunities

LibrePlanet is a good place to spread the word about your organization
to the free software community. You can sponsor LibrePlanet or have a
table in our exhibit hall (or both!). Our exhibit hall is at the center
of the LibrePlanet venue, and sponsors are highly visible at the
conference and in our promotional materials. The FSF and LibrePlanet are
heavily member-supported, and we appreciate the support of organizations
that embrace free software. Apply to exhibit
<https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors/> at LibrePlanet 2018 or email us
at campaigns at fsf.org <mailto:campaigns at fsf.org> if you are interested in
being a sponsor.

Happy hacking,

Georgia Young
Program Manager

Follow us on GNU social <https://status.fsf.org/fsf> | Subscribe to our
blogs via RSS <https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS> | Join us as an associate
member <https://www.fsf.org/jf>

Sent from the Free Software Foundation,

51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02110-1335
UNITED STATES

Unsubscribe
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=154049&qid=28213998&h=9bec288259b0caea>
from this mailing list.

Stop all email
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=154049&qid=28213998&h=9bec288259b0caea>
from the Free Software Foundation, including Defective by Design, and
the Free Software Supporter newsletter.