[tor-project] For technical users: Please help us test next-gen onions!

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Wed Sep 20 19:48:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 02:34:19PM +0300, George Kadianakis wrote:
> Here are some basic instructions:
>
> 1) First of all, clone tor from git:
>    $ git clone https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git
>    and then build it:
>    $ ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
>
> 2) Setup a basic torrc for your tor client:
>    ====
>    SocksPort 9008
>    RunAsDaemon 0
>    SafeLogging 0
>    DataDirectory /home/user/tmp/tor
>    Log notice stdout
>    Log notice file /home/user/tmp/hsclient/tor.log
>    Log info file  /home/user/tmp/hsclient/torinfo.log
>    ===
>
>    and start up tor using the above torrc. Or setup your own torrc, you
>    might find your own bugs that way ;)

I got it to work in Tor Messenger. Run steps 1 and 2, but change the
port to 9152, which is what Tor Messenger expects.

SocksPort 9152
RunAsDaemon 0
SafeLogging 0
DataDirectory /home/user/tmp/tor
Log notice stdout
Log notice file /home/user/tmp/hsclient/tor.log
Log info file  /home/user/tmp/hsclient/torinfo.log

Then run Tor Messenger like so:

TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1 ./start-tor-messenger.desktop

Go to Tools→Accounts and click New Account. IRC→Next.
Username: you choose
Server: gff4ixq3takworeuhkubzz4xh2ulytoct4xrpazkiykhupalqlo53ryd.onion
Password: <empty>
Port: 6697
✓ Use SSL

When you first connect, there will be an SSL certificate error. You have
to click on the account in the Accounts window and add an exception.

Once it's connected, do File→Join Chat, choose the account you just
created, set
Channel: #prop224
and click OK.