[tor-project] Future of Tor Messenger

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Thu Oct 26 16:01:22 UTC 2017

On 10/26/2017 03:47 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:

> 2) It should support onion service-based chat protocols. Those are a
> good showcase for metadata-free chat/messaging and we should support
> that + convince users to switch to them.

What if took a step back, and actually design and implemented a native
Tor protocol reliable messaging layer, within the Onion Service
protocol? There a lot of issues related to presence, offline delivery,
asynchronous nature of messaging, and encryption that Ricochet ran into
as part of their work.

I know there was talk of mix networks on top of Tor, and other
DHT/blockchain style efforts like BitMessage can work well over Tor, too.

Ultimately, just moving to HTTP over Onion peer-to-peer messaging,
doesn't seem like enough, and definitely would expose a lot of issues on
mobile, where expecting a user to be online all of the time is just not
a reality.

+n