[tor-project] Tor powers digital resistance with help from Mozilla

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Oct 26 15:12:19 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 02:12:13PM -0700, Shari Steele wrote:

[snip]

> You started quite a hunt here in the office, trying to clearly
> establish the trail the Amazon Smile donations take.  We can now
> confirm that those donations are deposited directly into our bank
> account periodically, and they never hit our donation database.  So
> we will not be asking Mozilla to match that money.

I didn't mean to make work for anyone, but I hope the result was
useful for better understanding the flow of donation money and the
meaning of any particular numbers.

> Mozilla is being extremely generous with us, and we could ask them
> to include the Amazon Smile deposits, but I kinda feel like that's
> cheating, since those are already given in part based on Amazon's
> generosity.

I agree completely on all counts. It was saying "hmmm" about just
those sorts of thoughts that prompted me to ask. And especially given
that the answer was basically as I expected with roughly the same
attitude about it on your part, I again apologize if I prompted extra
work for anybody.

aloha,
Paul