[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 23 Oct 2017.
nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Oct 23 17:47:43 UTC 2017
You can see logs of the weekly network team meeting at
Network team meeting pad, 23 October 2017
Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
The last time we met, it was in Montreal. See the various session notes at:
* Remember, this meeting is 1700 UTC, no matter what local time
is. That's about to get confusing again.
* master is now 0.3.3; use the maint-0.3.2 branch for 0.3.2.
* review-group-24 exists!
* Team rotation:
* What do we do with our roadmap?
[conclusion: continue to update, integrate/combine with other
teams in early Nov, per Isabela's roadmap roadmap.]
* What was that other review-group we wanted?
* Cut down rotations?
[conclusion: let's survive with ticket triage, coverity, and jenkins]
Updates: (Please use boldface to indicate discussion topics)
- Went to an internews PT meeting in Boston. Argued
(successfully, I hope) for issue tracker & for focus on IPC API
stability. Worked on threat modeling some.
- Hacked on some children of #23684 ("Make it easier for
mobile app developers to embed tor")
- Took a couple of days off to destress, and make up for
having worked over the weekend at the meeting.
- Open review-group-24 keyword. ✓
- Triage bugs in stable versions; make sure people are aware
of must-fix things.
- Meeting with Isa on wed/thu.
- Merging patches on 0.3.2, 0.3.1, and maybe 0.3.3.
- Backporting things for older versions.
- Should I do releases?
[dgoulet: I would maybe wait for a new 032 alpha until we have
the big missing MD bug resolved #21969?]
[asn: wrt md/guard stuff: I think by the end of this week we
will have branches for #23862 and maybe other child tickets of
[ahf: do we have a release out of 0.3.1 with the fixes for the
compression non-fatal assertion issue, yet? If you do a release maybe
outsource it to others again?]
- Working on October items in roadmap: measurements with ahf
(?), examining dirauth authentication behavior [for #20532].
- met with tommy and shari to start working on modularization proposal
- start a inter-teams roadmap sharing process (proposed to Vegas Leads
last week: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/e0u8jYHQA_6I733RnO68uM6YroskSc21xXWFQ8A787h
- working on organizing the modularization proposal work in
different docs: timeline, logic model, M&E (measurement and
- pinging people to do network speed test for October
- check on the first deadline of inter-teams roadmap sharing
- question to networkers: what is the difference between tbb-wants
and tbb-needs and similar tags at the team roadmap?
[nickm:there is not currently a consistent difference.]
- question to networkers: October ends soon - how are we doing
with the items we added on the roadmap? should we move things around?
Also, november has a lot of things without ownership, should we move
them too? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=0
[nickm: october looks okay; we added ownership for most nov things.]
- request to networkers: if you are working on a ticket that is
associated with some NSF sponsor work (M, V, Q, 2, 3) please add the
right sponsor code to your ticket. We are trying to keep a better
track of NSF work :) thanks!
[asn: Moved guard ticket #21969 to SponsorV from SponsorU. I
hope that's alright. I will move more guard tickets to SponsorV this
[dgoulet: All scheduler and KIST related tickets (keyword:
tor-sched) have been tagged for SponsorV as discussed in Montreal with
Roger. Let me know if they should be elsewhere.]
[nickm: I went over everything in 0.3.1 through 0.3.3 that
didn't have a sponsor earlier.]
- meeting Nick on Wed/Thur
- Submit updates for #22840 based on code review at tor dev
(ideally this will be done tomorrow)
- Look at next Rust tickets and create any new ones based on
conversations at tor dev.
[Might be offline during meeting. Depends on dinner timing.]
- Montreal meeting happened.
- Some post-meeting TODO organization.
- More post-meeting TODO organization. As always after a meeting, I got tons
of stuff on my plate that I need to figure out how to handle.
- Work on the microdescriptor issues, which is my top priority wrt technical
tasks right now (#21969 and children tickets)
- Get hackerone under control.
- Some non-technical onion service things coming up: Start thinking about
press strategy for onion services, need better tools to setup onion
- Got some important personal stuff on Thursday and Friday this week.
- Montreal meeting
- Went over the prop224 open tickets with asn.
- Address dgoulet assigned 032 tickets (currently 16 of them...)
- If time allows it, I'll try to plan out the changes discussed with
pastly that needs to happen in the scheduler for 033. It won't be simple
changes so early merge would be ideal for better stabilization.
- Montreal meeting + recovery.
- Used some of the recovery time to get more into Shadow and Rust.
- Create bugs based on tasks we decided to do in our roadmapping in Montreal.
- Talk with Nick and Isa about "new" mobile(maybe?) tasks that was
found in the mobile sessions in montreal (OONI + Nathan+Mike's
- Finish baseline measurement for initial s8 tasks.
- Go over small todo tasks from Montreal (mostly around some of the
tasks found in different notes).
last week (2017-W42):
- Montreal meeting
- GutHub mirroring research
this week (2017-W43):
- look at hackerone
- continue #20532 work
- write up more stuff about GitLab and GitHub mirroring and CI
- montréal and travelling home
- spec patch and patch for #18329 (making it so that bridges
can request how to be distributed, also mark their descriptors as
- register for mozilla all-hands in december and begin planning for it
- took time off to recooperate and de-stress
- make more tickets for things in the roadmap
- finish moat server (#22871)
- type up more meeting notes
More information about the tor-project