[tor-project] Analyzing bwauth disagreements

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:39:02 UTC 2017

> On 13 Oct 2017, at 13:37, dawuud <dawuud at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> I hope it rings loud and clear that this is a *huge* problem for the
> health of the Tor network that many of the top 100 Tor relays with the
> Fast and Stable flags cannot even build a single Tor circuit to any of
> the other top 100 relays!
>
> In conclusion, many of these circuit build failures are very likely
> NOT the fault of the relay operators but instead this points to the
> failure of the current Tor Bandwidth Authority system. Not only is it
> old and broken, even if it was to work "properly" it would still be
> broken by design if:
>
> a. it's not performing circuit build tests

It's unclear what you mean here.
The scanner has to build circuits to measure their speed.

> b. it's not distributed and thus more easily gameable

Yes. But this is a major change in design and implementation.

Instead, we could increase the circuit build failure penalty in the current
bandwidth authority code. It was originally designed for a much smaller
network, with different load characteristics.