[tor-project] Notes from weekly network team meeting, 13 Nov 2017

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Nov 14 00:19:20 UTC 2017

              Hidden, we are free:
                 Free to speak, to free ourselves,
              Free to hide no more.

Hi!  We had our weekly network-team meeting this week, but a lot of folks
were busy with travel or healthcare or other important things.  So, we had
a little but awesome meeting.

We love new people at these meetings!  Come to the next one!

The logs and the summary messages are  at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2017/tor-meeting.2017-11-13-16.59.html

Below are the contents of the pad where we took our notes:

Network team meeting pad, 13 November 2017

Welcome to our meeting!  Every monday at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.
(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them
in *boldface*!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Meeting notes from last week:

   - *
   https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-November/001560.html

   -

Announcements:
    - Review-group-25 is open
    - Does everybody know about the current time allocations that Brad sent
around? (ie, where Accounting thinks that we're spending our time)
    - We need headcount for TeamRotation. Nobody is assigned for ticket
triage this week.
    - Planning for 0.3.2.5-alpha around 24 Nov; and for stable releases and
0.3.2.6-rc around 8 Dec

Discussion Topics:
    - Sprint updates: start of Nov, end of Nov. How did it go?
    - How are we doing on 032 stability?
    - Remember to cross-check other teams' roadmaps. (See Isa's email.)
    - Who needs help with end-of-november?

teor (offline):
    Last week:
        * Ongoing work with Karsten to graph relay and bridge IPv6 ORPorts,
and exit IPv6 support
          (This shows the impact of authority IPv6 support changes around
22 October)
          https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23761#comment:5
        * Looked at some security issues
        * Continued to implement domain counting in Experimental PrivCount
        * Reviewed the inter-team roadmap pad and added some info
    This week:
        * Revise the IPv6 proposal
        * Review the shamir sharing proposal draft by nickm, and add a
section about noise limits
        * Confirm the details of noise limits with Aaron
        * Finish domain counting in Experimental PrivCount, and maybe do
country/AS as well

catalyst (might miss this meeting if medical stuff takes longer than
expected):
    Last week (2017-W45):
        - some HackerOne review
        - more download schedule investigation
        - reviewed more floating point stuff (#23523, #23061)
        - looked at some circuit build timeout stuff (#24228)
        - more support on IRC: another instance of someone needing to
delete the special macOS directory to get Tor Browser to work. filed #22611
so we can improve our documentation
    This week (2017-W46):
        - more bootstrapping research
        - make more progress on #23605 (don't report progress in building
circuits when we don't have a sufficiently live consensus to initialize our
guard state)

asn:
  [Physical training starts colliding with the meeting schedule (training
ends 19:10, meeting starts 19:00).
   Might be 20 mins late...]
  Last week:
  - Continued progress with md bugs and #23817. We still have some tests
failing that we
    need to figure out.
  - Found #24228 which seems concering. Unclear if it's a bug and how to
handle it.
  - Reviewed #23985, #23100.
  - Looked into #23764. Important hsv3 ticket, some work required.
  This week:
  - More progress with md stuff.
  - Get #24228 fixed.
  - More progress with prop224 stuff.
  - Figure out guard stuff.

ahf

   - I wont be around during the meeting. My flight lands in Valencia
   airport an hour after the meeting is over.

   - Last week (don't have my notes from home - writing from Zurich
   airport):

   - Sponsor 8:

   - - Setup a VM locally to build android packages automatically when
   there are commits in Tor (runs every 5 min.): missing to setup an fdroid
   repo to give everyone access to the apk's (if people dare).

   - - Looked at Nick's proposal for hibernation.

   - - Finish up on doc/HACKING/android documents. Will create merge
   requests this week for it.

   - - Trying to find a way to run some automatic tests on the device for
   battery consumption reproducibility.

   - This week:

   - Misc:

   - - At the OTF summit in Valencia with GeKo, Shari, and a lot of other
   people. Let me know if I need to chat with anybody on your behalf or
   anything! :-)

   -

Nick:

   - Last week:

   - - Piles of review and merging!

   - - Put out 0.3.2.4-alpha. Too many last-minute fixes :(

   - - Opened a few TROVE entries

   - - Wrote a proposal draft for improved hibernation design &
   implementation for mobile platforms. (#24107)

   - - Wrote a proposal draft for privcount + shamir secret sharing (#22955)

   - - Wrote a "move ed25519-to-consensus" proposal (#23170)

   - - Wrote an API draft for more controller C API improvements

   This week:
     - Begin preparing backports for upcoming stable releases.
     - More review and merging
     - Work on some mobile performance code with Ahf
     - Help people with end-of-November stuff.
     - Solicit feedback on designs.

dgoulet:
  - Last week:
    * Worked on HSv3 control port spec (prop#284) and implementation
(#20699).
    * Reviewed and made patches for 032 tickets.
    * Helped asn with #24228.
    * Opened #24186 and worked on getting it fixed asap for the last week
      alpha release.
  - This week:
    * Hope to finish the #20699 ticket (control port implementation) and set
      it in needs_review for 033 merge.
    * Plan to work on tor-sched stuff (#23993) from the answers I got on my
      tor-dev@ thread ("Intense Trek").
    * Move forwards my 032 tickets in needs_information and review tickest
      from the review group.

isabela:
    -Last week:
     * submitted DRL Q3 report (august and september)
     * didn't had time to send out Tor Launcher check in email - hope to do
it today
    - This week:
     * Pinged people on follow up with other teams
     * Send out check in email for Tor Launcher work
     * coordinate with UX, HS and TB folks for HS usability work

isis:
    Last week:
        - Finished up moat #22871
        - Commented on H1 report and learned my way around the interface
and how to use it
        - Meeting with Moz about Tor integration
        - (It's very early here, I'll remember more stuff as I boot up)
    This week:
        - Deploy beta moat
        - Start on proposal (re-)writing for prop#271 and prop#269 and/or
PQ TLS proposal

Mike:
    Last Week:
        - Submitted review/merge requests for #23100 and #23114; fixed them
up a bit
        - Started working on #23101 and #13837
    This week:
        - Fix up #23100 and #23114 as per reviews
        - Draft patches for #23101 and #13837