[tor-project] October 2017 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Nov 7 11:34:00 UTC 2017

Hi All!

In October the Tor Browser team made three releases: Tor Browser
7.0.7[1], 7.0.8[2], and 7.5a6[3].

Tor Browser 7.0.7 and 7.5a6 were mostly releases enhancing the stability
of Tor Browser: they fixed crashes on macOS High Sierra[4] and when
accessing Google Drive[5], and dealt with issues related to our external
helper app handling (in the 7.0.7 case)[6]. Tor Browser 7.0.7 is
moreover the first stable release that contains the Firefox content
sandbox enabled for Linux users.[7]

Tor Browser 7.0.8 was a fix-up release to make our donation banner work
correctly.[8]

Non-release related work saw much progress regarding our remaining
Sponsor4 items: we are about to ship the long-awaited 64bit bundles for
Windows in our alpha series[9] and the new Tor Launcher UI[10][11] will
be ready as well to get wider testing in Tor Browser 7.5a8.

We spent almost a week together with other Tor folks in Montreal working
on things face to face and creating the roadmaps for the next few
months. Watch out on the tbb-dev or tor-project mailing list if you are
interested, updates are coming soon.

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in October is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201710` keyword in our bug tracker.[12]

This month we plan to finish most of our Sponsor4 deliverables, so this
will be busy weeks for the whole team. Tickets for those deliverables
can be easily found on Trac.[13]

We will start as well to integrate developers working with the mobile
port of Tor Browser targeting Android devices. This will be our first
step towards a mobile browser in feature-parity with the desktop version
of Tor Browser, which is very exciting!

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201711` keyword in our bug tracker.[14]

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-707-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-708-released
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-browser-75a6-released
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23807
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23745
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22610
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22692
[8] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23949
[9] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20636
[10] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23262
[11] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23261
[12]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201710
[13]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201711&sponsor=Sponsor4&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=owner&col=type&col=status&col=priority&order=priority
[14]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201711&order=priority