[tor-project] GSoC Student Introduction 2017

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri May 12 12:43:00 UTC 2017

iry:
> Hello everyone!
>
> My name is iry. I am a GSoC student who will be mentored by both Sukhbir
> (sukhe) and Patrick Schleizer!
>
> Although I have heard this good news for a while, I still feel great
> excitement and happiness every time I think about it. This is because
> contributing to the Tor/Whonix is my dream that has been encouraging me
> to move on. Therefore, you can imagine how appreciated I am to the Tor
> community for offering me such a great opportunity to let me get more
> involved with Tor!
>
> The following is a Q&A about myself and the project I will be working on
> this summer. I hope it will help you have a better idea about me and the
> project I will be working on! Also, if there is any question, feedback
> or anything else you would like to discuss with me, please do not
> hesitate to let me know! I will be more than happy to discuss them with you!
>
> #####What project would you like to work on?
> I would like to work on the anon-connection-wizard. It is a Python-clone
> of the Tor Launcher which aims at providing Tor users with a graphical
> instruction on configuring the Tor. This
> [application](https://github.com/Whonix/anon-connection-wizard) has been
> developed as a part of the Whonix Project. Some of the screenshots of
> its old version can be found
> [here](https://www.whonix.org/blog/connection-bridge-wizard).
>
> This application is especially helpful for users who live in
> Tor-censored area. This is because those users can only connect to the
> Tor network with the help of other censorship circumvention tools which
> include but are not limited to Tor bridges, pluggable transports and
> other third party Internet censorship circumvention tools like Lantern
> and VPN.
>
> Currently, the Tor Launcher is shipped with the Tor Browser Bundle and
> heavily relies on the Tor Browser for its implementation. Although
> thanks to the great
> efforts([[1]](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/tree/config/chroot_local-hooks/06-adduser_tor-launcher?h=devel),
> [[2]](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/tree/config/chroot_local-hooks/10-tbb?h=devel),
> [[3]](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/tree/config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin/tails-tor-launcher?h=devel),
> [[4]](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/tree/config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tor-launcher?h=devel))
> of Tails, the Tor Launcher can be run as a stand-alone XUL application
> currently, since the XUL will not be supported by mozilla in Firefox ESR
> branch anymore [some time next
> year](https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/), that
> implementation may not work for a long time. Beiseds, I agree with the
> Whonix core developer Patrick Schleizer that "the Tor Browser Bundle has
> its kind of users. system Tor (refers to Tor from packages.debian.org or
> deb.torproject.org) users, where Tor runs as daemon, is used in
> [...]

You should double-check
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21951, especially Linda
et.al.'s paper in the attachment. They already made a usability study
showing design changes that would significantly improve the usability.
We are going to implement a lot of those findings later this year in Tor
Launcher.

[snip]

Georg