[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 8 May 2017
nickm at freehaven.net
Mon May 8 18:10:09 UTC 2017
Hi! Our meeting logs are available from
Below is the text of the pad we worked on this meeting, with all our
Network team meeting notes, 8 May 2017
- Last week of merge window. Please help review? [NM]
- Don't forget your needs_revision tickets (if any) [NM]
- some problems brewing re directory downloads and guards? (#21969) [TY]
- network team hackfest!
- Please look at all tickets in maint-0.3.1
- If you're the owner on it, and it's a feature that's not going to
happen for 0.3.1 -- please defer or find somebody else to do it this
- If it's in "new" and you're going to do it, please make it
accepted or assigned?
- If it's in needs_revision -- can you revise it?
- If it's in needs_review -- can you review it?
- Last week:
- Finished consensus-diff implementation
- Hacked together a connsensus-compression backend for ahf's prop278 work
- Review, merge, review, merge.
- Worked on fixes to some longstanding chutney bugs
- Met with UX folks and TBB folks and PT folks to talk about bootstrapping UI
- Met with Taylor to work on bootstrapping status report API, talk
about faster bootstrapping
- This week:
- Review code and try to merge it.
- Tor presentation at MIT class on Wednesday (6.858).
- Complete or defer all my enhancement-y coding tasks for 0.3.1.x
- Make tickets for ideas about faster bootstrapping in 0.3.2
- Last week:
- Submitted for review additions to the torspec glossary (#21744)
- Added notes to, excited for Sebastian's initial Rust patch (#22106)
- This week:
- Still working on a rust protover. Right now, implementing
compute_vote & thinking about how to translate smartlists between
- Helping with current bwauth code on #21846, thanks teor for the review
- fixed #22103 by deleting useless checks
- several rounds of followup fixes due to test case memory management!
- Tor Launcher usability meeting
- met with nickm to outline an improved model of bootstrapping so we
can hopefully have a better UX in the future
- did some research into exponential backoff techniques (we're not
doing too badly, but maybe we should tune our constants?)
- analyzed my obfs4 bootstrap stuff a bit more; wrote up some comments
and uploaded a log file to #21969
- helped nickm with #22143
- help nickm refine the bootstrap status reporting improvements
- more obfs4 bootstrap failure analysis?
- other bootstrap UX improvement work
- Finalized the rend e2e circuit branch (#21859) and now
it's in needs_review for 0.3.2.
- Finalized ed25519 validation branch (#22006) and now it's
in needs_review for 0.3.1.
- Think about guard discovery stuff.
- Open a new prop224 spec ticket (#22052). Waiting for feedback.
- Posted some theories in #21969
- Work on #21043: prop224 client-side descriptor fetching
- Do some SponsorR bookkeeping.
- More guard discovery stuff.
- Reviewed Prop247 and commented in email.
- Padding and Rusting
- Meeting with Isa about Bridge discovery, other things
- More padding, more rusting
- we submitted our KIST paper last week
- investigating EWMA cell_count values vs Tor queueing time
- sometimes Tor queue times are longer than their expected
- this could be okay. but what type of clients are being
queued longer? Bulk? Bulk and web?
- if any circuits are being held back in Tor, it should be
ones with higher EWMA values (bulk). Verify that.
Last week (unordered):
- Read up on directory connections: the dirserv and
- Started pushing patches for bug #21667 on `bugs/21667`
on gitlab.com/ahf still a few things left to do.
- Landed patches for #21665.
- Reviewed: #22143, #21649, #21650.
- Patches for CID: 1405875 (bug #22177): Needs an
additional patch to enhance the test.
- Patches for CID: 1405876 (bug #22164): Should be OK.
This week (ordered):
- (review nickm's #22148)
- Finish bug #21667 (prop #278).
- Look at Nick's changes in #21668 + write/fix tests for it.
- Help Nick with reviews when need be for consdiff (if any?)
- Finalized unit tests for #20657. Then, followed by stress testing
prop224 service. Many bugs were found but it's getting more and more
- Opened #22173 which will be needed by prop224 at some point.
- Some minor review of couple of tickets for 031 merge.
- Help asn for a Guard discovery mini dev meeting.
- Most prop224 groundwork tickets have been merged now in 031!
- Continue integration and stress testing #20657. I do have identified
some issues that need to be resolved. Once this is getting more stable,
I'll probably jump on client implementation with asn (final block!).
- Need to review and integrate the HS e2e crypto branch from asn (#21859).
- meeting with nick to discuss things to work on
- spent some time thinking about what i want out of employment/contract
- implemented more of the crypto we need for hyphae
- fought with Mike Hamburg's decaf_25519 implementation to try
to get testvectors
- mostly took the week off
- arranged a meeting with isa for this week, to brainstrom hyphae UI
- send notes from meeting with nick to shari
- still taking time off
- last week I sent notes of tor launcher automation meeting -
following up on some to fthat this week
- Almost done with DRL review and will email deliverables to
stakeholders this week
- last week I did prep work for new hires (lots of new hires
coming with new proposals!) hopefully will start writing job posts
this week (not publish them yet)
- this week will work sponsor4 report for April
- this week will help organize hackfest
More information about the tor-project