[tor-project] U.S. border crossing guide

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Mon Mar 20 16:46:44 UTC 2017

On 3/17/17 16:47, Franklin Bynum wrote:
> You can have a friend keep track of you in case you disappear for a few hours.  You can also have an attorney standing by to file a federal habeas application in the nearest federal district court, but immigration officials will usually release you before the federal court has an opportunity to act.

Hi there!

As someone who is sent to secondary when entering the US 90% of the
time, I can share a tip of how I make sure people are keeping track I
don't disappear.

As soon as the airplane land I text 3 people (who already know I will be
doing that) normally a friend, family member and a lawyer. They all know
if I don't text again in around 3 hours, that they should start making
noise and look for me.

You can't use your phone once you are out of the airplane and in the
immigration area and not at all while you are in secondary. The longest
I have stayed in secondary has been 3 hours (that is why I use the 3
hours mark). That is why I text them when the airplane land before I am
even out of it.

have a safe travel everyone!

Isabela