[tor-project] Notes from March 9 2017 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Mar 13 11:03:13 UTC 2017

Notes for March 9 2017 meeting:

Georg:
1) We got releases out (6.5.1, 7.0a2, and 7.0a2-hardened)
2) Continuing work on Sponsor4 items (ESR 52 transition, build system
scalability, and integration of fingerprinting Q&A tool (aka own
Panopticlick)

Alison:
1) Linda, Colin, and I are working on next steps for the support portal:
creating content, looking into design options for the banner and icons,
messing around with the layout. We are meeting weekly about this and
will also discuss it in AMS.
2) The Community Council Guidelines will go to a vote Friday. I'll be
running the social contract proposal period at the same time.
3) More planning for AMS meeting.
4) Global South outreach: more trainings happening, also ilv has been
doing a lot of work trying to get more relay operators in LatAm. He's
run into some issues as some places don't meet basic technical
requirements, and he does need funding to keep the operation going, but
there is at least a lot of interest.
5) LFP event next week at Temple University -- March 15th
6) I'm going to SXSW for a day or two to meet up with some people/groups
and talk about Tor.

Shari:
1) lots of planning for Amsterdam meeting; specifically working on
agenda for strategic planning discussion
2) pulling together board book for board meeting in Amsterdam
3) meeting with/talking to Yawning about what he's up to; Mitchell Baker
about Tor/Mozilla collaboration
4) still trying to get caught up from my week out; getting ready to be
out for a couple of weeks in Europe

Nick:
1) Not really much prepared for Amsterdam meeting.  Not sure what I
should be doing.
2) Development proceeds apace.
3) Need to advance stuff with Roger's NSF plans: AMS might be a fine place.
4) Planning to take it easy for Thu/Fri next week, to improve reserves
for Amsterdam.

Karsten:
1) Trying to wrap up a few Sponsor X tasks/deliverables in the next 1.5
weeks in order to become more open to requests and suggestions brought
up in Amsterdam.

Mike:
1) Worked on Orbot roadmap for DRL  (unfunded, so pretty pipe-dreamy)

Isabela:
1) still working on the final report
2) final month of ISC/Orfox work - Linda is compiling user testing
reports - we have some dev time to spend on it so we will be polishing
things
3) catching up on things after the Seattle trip -> working on monthly
report for sponsor4 / MOSS invoice / SIDA response / DRL response /
network team release prep work
4) set to table at Libre Planet - thanks to jon's help
5) linda and I have syncs with simply secure - right now they are pretty
much done with updating the style guidelines (incorporating feedback
from the seattle meeting) the final version will be publish and they
will be doing 2 blog posts about this project and Tor will published as
'guest contributors' at our blog. Hope this will bring good attention to
the efforts on visual consistency of Tor and ux.
6) hiro survey is out and it seems ppl are answering it \o/ - I also
organized the blog work stuff in a pad and hope to sync with hiro on it
next week when she is back from IFF

Josh:
1) I plan to relaunch Tor Weekly News on 3/17
2) I am still looking for more people from within Tor that want to join
me in helping to make Tor more effective at social media. This can just
be as simple as encouraging people to PM/DM me about, for example,
interesting things happening in the world of tech privacy/security. But
hopefully doing Tor Weekly news will also be something that will help me
get more ideas and connect with more people in our community on a
regular basis.

Arturo:
1) OONI team is at the Internet Freedom Festival