[tor-project] New UAE Users

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Fri Mar 10 23:01:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 03:01:56PM -0500, David Goulet wrote:
> On 08 Mar (17:07:36), David Fifield wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 01:05:15AM +0000, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> > > Anyone know what caused the remarkable jump in direct and obfs3 users from
> > > the UAE that began on 16 Jan and 06 Feb, respectively?
> > >
> > > Sorry if I already missed the discussion about this.
> > >
> > > https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2017-01-14&end=2017-03-08&country=ae&events=off
> > > https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html?start=2017-02-04&end=2017-03-08&country=ae
> >
> > We don't know the cause AFAIK, but we have some entries for it with
> > links, near the bottom of
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/MetricsTimeline#Unknown
>
> Seems obfs4 is now what they are "testing"....
>
> http://rougmnvswfsmd4dq.onion/userstats-bridge-transport.html?start=2016-12-10&end=2017-03-10&transport=obfs3&transport=obfs4

The UAE graph doesn't show an increase in obfs4:
https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html?start=2016-12-10&end=2017-03-10&country=ae

The spike at the end of the overall obfs4 graph might not be a real
sustained change, because in clients.csv it goes back to normal the next
day. (The second-to-last column is the one to look at.)

date,node,country,transport,version,lower,upper,clients,frac
2017-03-01,bridge,,obfs4,,,,34392,65
2017-03-02,bridge,,obfs4,,,,33200,66
2017-03-03,bridge,,obfs4,,,,33568,65
2017-03-04,bridge,,obfs4,,,,31734,64