[tor-project] Security slider usability testing results

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Fri Mar 10 16:40:08 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-09 17:26, Paul Syverson wrote:
> Interesting, apologies if this is
> trivial/already-considered-and-bad/etc

No apologies! Thank you for your feedback.

> How about settings with names something like
> Mostly Harmless
> Basic
> Minimal

We did iterate through the copy, but this is appreciated since the
feedback says we should probably look into things more.

I like your suggestions because they don't associate safety with the
settings (which isn't false, but it's not something that we can
guarantee people). The more correct thing might be to tell them about
the reduced functionality, with a hint to the fact that these measures
might protect you.

Avoiding negative things (like things stop working and users don't know
why) are much much much more important than including positive thing
(like making them feel proactive about their security). The former loses
users, the latter is a temporary high at best.

> This avoids the direct statement of comparison in the name, so might
> preclude people avoiding a safer setting they might otherwise choose
> 'cause it sounds too paranoid. but still shold be clear what order
> they're in.

I agree. I actually like the progression of standard > something >
basic. But that's only my opinion; don't know how users would feel.

> (I was going to suggest "Safe" for the highest one, but cringe at ever
> actually saying that simpliciter. Plus I'm a big Douglas Adams
> fan. Actually I was also going to suggest "Undici" because, like
> Starbucks, we could name our largest size with the same big number
> regardless of whether that still corresponds to any units---except
> we've got security that goes to _eleven_. OK tired. Need to go home.)

Hmm! This inspires me to work on the copy again. Thanks!

Cheers,
Linda