[tor-project] [important] Trac usage and alternatives survey

isis agora lovecruft isis at torproject.org
Wed Mar 8 01:55:51 UTC 2017

Silvia [Hiro] transcribed 1.2K bytes:
> Hi everyone,
>
> as some of you might already know we have been working on a survey to see if we can identify possible Trac alternatives. The original question was: should we continue to patch Trac until we love it, or should we look around for a tool that might be able to do what we need?
>
> The idea of the survey is to identify what we actually need from a ticketing/wiki tool and eventually identify a solution that has all that we want (or that we can work with).
>
> So please take your time to answer the survey (it doesn't take longer than 2/3 minutes) https://storm.torproject.org/shared/mgNGJd30HpN8IL5XvoC4QhloRgDGLcpr6VzR89byQsZ
>
> For any questions/doubts/rants feel free to write or ping me.
>
> -silvia

Hi silvia!

Thanks for this!  I took the survey a while ago, so I didn't want to risk
messing up the results by taking it again to give a suggestion.

One neat thing that I've seen some trackers have (e.g. Gitlab, Github, others)
is the ability to add a "reaction" to a specific comment on a ticket, or to
the ticket description.  I don't know if full-on emoji reactions are really
necessary, but it would be a neat extra feature to at least be able to +1
someone's comments, like to praise them for figuring out why a certain bug was
happening.

I only thought of it because this Twitter like/RT bug has been annoying me, and
Arthur and Jens figured out what was up with the POST requests not being
authenticated: https://bugs.torproject.org/21555#comment:12  I went to click
the +♥ button, but then remembered I was on Trac not Github.

Anyway, it's not a necessary thing, I just thought it would be a nice thing to
be able to give people a thumbs up when they do a good job. :)

Best,
--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft