[tor-project] [important] Trac usage and alternatives survey

Silvia [Hiro] hiro at torproject.org
Fri Mar 3 10:33:39 UTC 2017

On 03/03/17 00:21, teor wrote:

> This isn't my area of expertise, but I have no idea what these mean:
>
> Project management functionalities
> Projects flow
>
> Also, what's the difference between:
> Handle tickets
> Issues
Hi Teor,

The survey is a bit redundant because we are trying to understand how
people work around here. If you do not use project management canvas,
you simply do not need them. Some systems though offer that
functionality, so that's why it is included in the survey.

This idea also affects the tickets/issue redundancy point. If you are
used to work on code reviews you think of issues/bugs, but otherwise
some people might think to report a ticket as a general problem (with
various other fields inside) that isn't generally linked to a code
repository or project.
> The survey seems to be written with the idea that the trac replacement
> will be one system that will do everything we can possibly think of.
>
> But I'm in favour of having separate systems that do the tasks you
> listed: that's more maintainable, easier to scale, fewer single points
> of failure, and easier to replace just one if it turns out to be bad in
> future. (Oh, and more secure, too.)
>
> Unless, of course, there are compelling reasons for tight integration.
>
> For example, maybe it's a good idea to have a system that does code
> review and tickets. But I'm yet to be convinced it should do the wiki
> as well, and it really doesn't need to send encrypted emails.
Again various systems (see gitlab for example) also have a project wiki
with each repository. So that's why it is mentioned.

Regarding encrypted emails: the system doesn't need to send encrypted
emails, but maybe we need that feature for private issue reporting. This
mean we will need to hook it up with Schleuder for example. So it helps
to know we need that too when evaluating a different system.

Let me stress again that the whole point of the survey is understanding
how we work. So for people having the possibility to handle issues w/
code review really helps, some other team might have a specific flow
they like to work with. I, for example, understand why some do not like
to have to use patches (or link to branches) to comment on pull request,
but others are fine with it.

I hope this clarifies.

-silvia