[tor-project] [important] Trac usage and alternatives survey

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:21:51 UTC 2017

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 04:37, Silvia [Hiro] <hiro at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> as some of you might already know we have been working on a survey to see if we can identify possible Trac alternatives. The original question was: should we continue to patch Trac until we love it, or should we look around for a tool that might be able to do what we need?
>
> The idea of the survey is to identify what we actually need from a ticketing/wiki tool and eventually identify a solution that has all that we want (or that we can work with).
>
> So please take your time to answer the survey (it doesn't take longer than 2/3 minutes) https://storm.torproject.org/shared/mgNGJd30HpN8IL5XvoC4QhloRgDGLcpr6VzR89byQsZ
>
> For any questions/doubts/rants feel free to write or ping me.

This isn't my area of expertise, but I have no idea what these mean:

Project management functionalities
Projects flow

Also, what's the difference between:
Handle tickets
Issues

The survey seems to be written with the idea that the trac replacement
will be one system that will do everything we can possibly think of.

But I'm in favour of having separate systems that do the tasks you
listed: that's more maintainable, easier to scale, fewer single points
of failure, and easier to replace just one if it turns out to be bad in
future. (Oh, and more secure, too.)

Unless, of course, there are compelling reasons for tight integration.

For example, maybe it's a good idea to have a system that does code
review and tickets. But I'm yet to be convinced it should do the wiki
as well, and it really doesn't need to send encrypted emails.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org