[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 19 June.

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Jun 19 17:44:50 UTC 2017

Hi!  Our meeting log is here:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-dev/2017/tor-dev.2017-06-19-17.00.html

and our pad is copied below:
======

Network team pad, for 19 June Meeting (or 20 June, for those in UTC+5 or later)

Things we should talk about:
    * What's blocking 0.3.1 bug fixes?
    * How are v3 hidden services going?
    * Should we try to get everyone to a) get a user on hiro's
oniongit and b) get everyone to at least use for code review instead
of gitlab.com? (ahf)
    * review-group-18 now exists! Please assign yourself as reviewer
for some tickets.

Tasks for after the meeting:
    * nickm: Find somebody to attend to each non-assigned 0.3.1.x ticket
    * Everybody: review everything in review-group-18
    * somebody: update wiki
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/process/TorOnTrac)
with updates from http://5jp7xtmox6jyoqd5.onion/p/trac-hygiene

teor:
    Last week:
        * Deployed PrivCount 1.0.1 on a few relays to check our previous results
        * Worked on PrivCount HSDir Upload (v2 & v3) Statistics
          (thanks for the privcount tags on trac, nickm!)
        * Added chutney hidden service network with different numbers
of intro points #22599
        * Found out that chutney doesn't support Hidden Service client
auth #22646
        * Tracked down some of the zstd issues #22502 and children
    This week:
        * Finish Implementing & Testing PrivCount HSDir Upload
Statistics
        * Start planning Montreal travel
        * Start Implementing PrivCount HSDir Download Statistics

dgoulet:
  Last week:
    * Wilmington Meeting
  This week:
    * I'll be at the DRL meeting in Montreal for the next 3 days (19th-21st)
      so expect communication delays on IRC/Email.
    * My focus will be prop224 as the 0.3.2 merge window has opened. A
      series of branch will get into needs review this week for both nickm and
      asn.

Mike:
  Last week:
    * Wilmington
  This week:
    * Catch up on email, paperwork
    * Put finishing touches on Prop254 implementation
    * Maybe start work on torrc options needed for Prop247 prototype

ahf:
    Last week:
        * Wilmington Meeting.
    This week:
        * Analyze log files to extract information on whether our
sponsor4 efforts have reduced directory bandwidth usage.
        * Look into LZMA mprotect() issue.
        * Look into Teor's Zstandard bugs.
        * Finish the changes from prop #278 to dir-spec.txt

asn:
[Just made it back home but jetlagged. Unclear what my state will be
during the meeting hours]
Last week:
   - Attended network team hackfest. Thanks to everyone!

This week:
   - Catch up with the backlog that accumulated during meeting
   - Start reviewing remaining prop224 service-side code
   - Work on prop247 simulator
   - Revise prop247 based on meeting discussions
   - Meeting blog post (might delay to next week)

haxxpop:
    - Took a look at post quantum crypto :D (especially lattice-based)
    - Review a bit of asn's prop224 client side code (now it's
dgoulet's, I think)
This week
    - something of prop224

catalyst:
    Last week:
        * Wilmington meeting
        * Opened some tickets to follow up from testing session in
Wilmington: #22635 #22636
        * Looked at #22619: we don't seem to be testing SessionGroup at all?
    This week:
        * Review komlo's pending changes to CodingStandards.md
        * Follow up on more testing-related things
        * Look at the interaction of #12931 with other PT key=value
escaping issues
        * Give more feedback on #7869 now that 0.3.2 merge window is open
        * #22619 is tricky; the config validation fix should probably
go into 0.3.1 but making sure we have test coverage for the actual
functionality of SessionGroup= is not a small task
        * Try out calltool
        * Try out oniongit
        * Jot down notes about Wilmington logistics

pastly:
    last week:
        - Wilmington. Create name --> face dictionary
        - Learned about what Tor wants before merging KIST
        - +1 LDAP account
        - +2 gitweb.tp.o repos
        - help setup privcount deployement
    this week:
        - Do merge-kist-into-tor things, like ...
        - oh --enable-gcc-warnings is a thing and says I suck
        - comments comments comments
        - tor proposal maybe
        - unit tests tests tests
    later:
        - KIST code develivered to Tor in 3w or less (hopefully!)
        - dgoulet will help review/merge KIST, correct? Where would
dgoulet like to do that? gitlab? oniongit?

nickm:
    Last week:
        * Wilmington!
        * more ticket triage!
        * work on big list of ALL the attacks that need research
        * Try to match developers to sponsored work.
     This week:
        * Just opened 0.3.2.x.
        * Just opened review-group-18.
        * Work on fixing 0.3.1.x bugs
        * Work on 0.3.2.x code reviews and merges
        * Remind people that 0.3.1.x bugs need attention.
        * More bug triage in Unspecified and 0.3.2.x.
        * Put the wilmington stuff I did online.
        * Maybe, sponsor4 followup planning
        * TBD

isabela:
    Last week:
        * half wilmington!
    This week:
        * work on invoices, reports (organizing NSF ones and sponsor4
may one (late this month). Also will update the launcher brief, havent
got a chance to do that yet and I am super late with it :(
        * Working on  new proposals - modularization one (on that I
think the driving car for the pitch should be it will help app devs
have Tor build with their apps)

Sebastian:

virtually attended Rust session. Please ask Rust questions if there
are any. Otherwise busy atm

Yawning:
  Unsubbed from the network-team list.  Because I'm not actually doing
anything or contracting with tor at the moment.