[tor-project] GSoC 2017 - Crash Reporter for Tor Browser: Report #1

Nur-Magomed nmagoru at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 02:05:17 UTC 2017

Hi everyone!

This is my report #1 for the "Crash Reporter for Tor Browser" project. At
the beginning I would like to apologize that I being late and delayed
e-mail.

# First 2 weeks work was focused on following:

1) Build Tor Browser with Crash Reporter

I successfully built Tor Browser with Crash Reporter in, tested crashes and
it works fine. Browser repository could be found at GitHub [1].

2) Make crash reports more anonymous

Most of my last work was focused on the analysis of data fields that
crashreporter collects. I had discussions in IRC #tor-dev with mentor and
also I created wiki-page for the analysis [2].
The next stage is creating final blacklist of fields (according to
analysis), that we must not send. If someone has ideas about privacy of
data fields [2], please don't hesitate and contact with me or add in
wiki-page.

# What's next

The next week work is focused on Crash Reporter client:
> UI - make it easy to understand for user "what's going on" when crash
happened;
> Deleting reports after crash report is sent.

Thanks,
Nur-Magomed

[1] https://github.com/nmago/tor-browser
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/crashreporter