[tor-project] Community Team May 2017 report

Alison alison at torproject.org
Thu Jun 8 19:48:00 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Here are the highlights of the Community Team's work in May 2017:

May 2017 Community Team report

Meeting notes May 2017
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Support portal
We continue to work on creating and editing content for the support
portal. Since the website funding is still up in the air, we've decided
to put the questions and answers up on a temporary support wiki that
users can access in the interim.

Localization
Phoul made plans for a Localization Lab sometime in June. anadahz
translated ansible scripts for automatic Tor relay deployment into
Portuguese.

Operator support
kat5 made a wiki to easily update what tshirts are available for
operators: [1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam/Tshirts

Global South
we wrote a grant to Lush for Global South outreach funding. We also
continued building relationships with community members in Egypt,
Pakistan, India, and Kenya. We hope that some of these folks will join
us for the Tor Meeting in Montreal this October. anadahz set up two new
relays in Brazil: [2]
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/0EBC53D0558E14BEC545DD114D4818479377466C
[3]
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/45B3C4D398E964DB48736F9EBB6F909B5C573F77

Some team members organized a Tor meetup at Cryptorave in Brazil, and
some of the people who attended that have already joined the tor-south
channels. We'd love to build a stronger relationship between Tor and
Cryptorave over the next year.

Library Freedom Project
We held lots of librarian trainings in May, which will probably be our
last big training month for a while. We'll instead be focusing on things
like updating the website and resources and adding more instructional
content. We did a huge amount of work on a big IMLS (Institute of Museum
and Library Services) grant which would cover two years of LFP funding.

Community governance
We sent the membership policy draft to a few Tor folks for review. After
the network team hackfest it'll go to tor-project@ for the proposal period.

Mirrors
Samdney is working on updating the mirror site (#22150).

Next up: community team roadmap, more Global South Tor Meeting planning,
more questions, answers, and edits to the support portal, ratifying the
membership policy.

Thanks for reading!

Alison
--