[tor-project] GSoC 2017 - unMessage: Report #4

Felipe Dau dau at riseup.net
Fri Jul 21 23:55:32 UTC 2017

Hi everyone!

This is my report #4 for the unMessage GSoC project.

# Updates

Since the last report I continued working on #21 [0] to properly use
Twisted:

- Finished making the Peer class' methods asynchronous

- Installed the reactor in both UIs

- Removed support for the Peer class running/calling its own reactor
  from a thread as now both UIs pass one to the constructor

I also started changing some other parts that should not depend on IO
to just make objects talk to other objects to simplify writing unit
tests for #33 [1].

# What's next

As #21 and #33 are complex tasks, I will continue working on them in
the next period of GSoC. This period was more focused on using Twisted
correctly (#21) and the next one will be more focused on testing (#33).

More details on these tasks can be followed in the respective
tickets [0, 1] and branches [2, 3].

Thanks,
-Felipe

[0]: https://github.com/AnemoneLabs/unmessage/issues/21