[tor-project] Help brainstorm Tor myths

Nima Fatemi nima at torproject.org
Fri Jul 7 08:48:00 UTC 2017

Lunar:
> Roger Dingledine:
>> Below is an initial list to get us started, along with overly brief
>> summaries of the reality underlying the myth. Please contribute more
>> entries!
>>
>> - "I heard the Navy wrote Tor originally (so how can we trust it)."
>> - "I heard the NSA runs half the exit relays."
>> - "I heard Tor is slow."
>> - "I heard Tor gets most of its money from the US government."
>> - "I heard 80% of Tor is bad people."
>> - "I heard Tor is broken."
>
>   - "If I use Tor, I'll be put under surveillance."
>
>     (This one got amplified by the XKEYSCORE source code leaks some
>      times ago.)

I think this is also a good opportunity to respond to some of the random
hate Tor gets from the infosec bros (specially on twitter).

- "I've heard using Tor makes me more vulnerable on the internet. / I've
heard it's not secure to use Tor"
- People still ask whether they might get MiTM by the exit node when
they use .onion.

--
Nima
0X58C4B928A3E218F6 | @mrphs

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it" --Evelyn Beatrice Hall